Search

Road trip from dallas to Colorado Springs and arches national park

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip from dallas to Colorado Springs and arches national park

Hi

We are planning on a road trip to Colorado Springs and arches national park from dallas this thanksgiving weekend. We plan on a 6 day visit with following itinerary:
Day 1 drive straight from dallas to Colorado Springs, stay overnight in colorado springs
Day 2 pikes peek garden of the gods, stay overnight in Colorado Springs
Day 3 drive to grand junction, stay overnight
Day 4 Colorado monument and arches national park
Day 5 arches national park in morning and in afternoon drive to Albuquerque
Day 6 drive straight from Albuquerque to dallas

I will be traveling with my spouse and 7 year old ..lone driver as spouse does not know driving

Do you think this plan works out or it just plain crazy ? please let me know your opinion

Thanks Gautham
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Dallas to Colorado Springs is 11.5 hours. That's a bit crazy in one day. Albuquerque to Dallas is 10 hours. That's slightly better but still not good. Keep in mind you might run into winter weather on either route and that will seriously slow you down.

Pikes Peak is closed on Thanksgiving Day.

I would not spend an entire day in Colorado Springs just to visit Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. Honestly, you'll see plenty of mountains as you drive between Colorado Springs and Grand Junction...and you'll see plenty of red rocks in Utah.

Since Arches seems to be the main focus, and you're potentially dealing with winter weather, I would go straight to Arches from Dallas (with an overnight stop midway). Then decide if the weather is good enough to drive east on I-70 through the Colorado mountains and visit Colorado Springs for a few hours. If the weather isn't good in Colorado, go back the way you came through New Mexico.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:00 PM

I love road trips, but this seems very rushed and kind of a "been there done that" kind of trip.

In any case as mentioned, you do need a plan B in case of bad weather.

Think about what you might want to see and do on this trip. Hiking? Looking at scenery? Historic sites? etc.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:14 PM

While Pike Peak has a reputation I don't think it worth a trip in the winter. The road to the top could easily be closed because of snow, will be snow and winter on top. It is good summer destination but marginal in winter. Glenwood Spring would make a good stop and everyone would enjoy the large outdoor, hot springs pool.

WhereAreWe suggested coming to Denver on your return leg. I haven't looked at calendar dates BUT ---- under no circumstances should you consider being on I-70 east bound from Vail east to Denver on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Personally I think it is a little much but would cut out the Colorado Springs section.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have experience driving in snow? Why are you trying to cover so much territory in such a short time? That is a crazy travel time and between possible inclement weather and really bad traffic I wouldn't.

Maybe just do the Utah and Arizona parks.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 05:22 PM

Just plain crazy. This would be ambitious even if guaranteed great weather which is not guaranteed for any part of CO or northern NM?
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 06:27 AM

You couldn't pay me to do this trip. Your 7 yr old will probably rebel and refuse to ever go on another driving trip with you.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 07:10 AM

How about this for an alternate that could be done in the opposite direction if weather permits (switch days 1 and 2 with 6 and 7):

Day 1: Dallas to Carlsbad Caverns NP, 7hours driving, so IF you start early in the morning you could do a tour of the caverns. Stay in the area.

Day 2: If weather is fine, drive to Santa Fe, 4+ hours driving. Lots to do in SF so take a look at the weather and decide if you want to do more there or head for Moab next.

Days 3,4,5? in Moab, visit Arches and Canyonlands

Days 6,7 head back to Dallas through Colorado if weather permits.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:20 AM

There's no way (very sadly) to do this trip in six days, not as the solo driver and with a child. I've been to all of these destinations as an adult (all since 2009), once to COS & Estes Park in 10 days (driving from about 75 miles east of you), a two week trip to Moab with a return route through south central CO, and just a few months ago, 10 days to northern NM and southern CO. Its not possible to see and actually enjoy anything in less than 10 days in that region. Also, all of my trips were in the May to July time period and we encountered snow/road closures in Estes Park/RMNP and on US 50 at the continental divide in mid to late May. I wouldn't risk a six day trip in November with snowy weather as a factor.

However...

That first day is way too ambitious. Two days for the drive to COS (DFW to either Amarillo, Dumas, or Raton), then finish out on day two, that'll give you time to check in wherever you're staying and perhaps do an afternoon activity. Having made long roadtrips since childhood, you're going to have to stop somewhere every few hours for the little ones to burn off energy. Even as an adult, I gotta stop to guarantee I'm going to stay awake/alert while driving when alone or splitting it with another driver! Even if you can pull it off, you'll be exhausted upon return and need a few days to physically recover ...

Honestly, pick two 'close' stops to see and save the Moab area for a second trip, it alone (for Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point) is worth it.

With the Day 2 I've mentioned above -- there's several good places to see in COS that are kid friendly -- also, just wandering around Old Colorado City or Manitou Springs is fun too. Personally I love Garden of the Gods, its unique to the area in comparison to the rest of the Rockies in CO. There's the US Olympic Academy and a old west museum ... and some Santa themed place. Keep COS as a stop but make it a good day and a half visit, two preferably.

Pikes Peak -- I had train reservations for it that got cancelled due to 110 mph winds at the peak in May. No idea of winds in November, but the train may be a no go if the tracks are obstructed, road might be the only option, and if you're not used to driving on a road like that in possibly wintry weather, I'm not sure I'd attempt it.

From COS, factoring possibly winter weather ... I'd either head to Denver and spend some time there (go out to Boulder, Golden, and see the Red Rocks Amphitheater) ... or head south to either the Taos/Red River area or Santa Fe/ABQ instead.

Oh, and please don't attempt ABQ to Dallas as a long haul drive if possible. Two years ago I (with two other drivers) did East Texas to Grants, NM out of necessity/last minute plan change and it was killer ... we were exhausted after that drive (that included several restroom/stretch breaks).
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP posted and never returned. . . Either it wasn't a serious question, or she is waiting for an alert from Fodors the there are responses.