Road Trip Dallas to New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To kick off the New Year with a little travel, we are combining business and pleasure with a trip to New Orleans in late January. We are considering driving instead of flying from Dallas.

The trip is about 550 miles for us, so we don't want to dawdle too much, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for interesting (or delicious) stops along the way.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
OO

I've done that drive. My recommendation--fly!! You know what a long boring stretch it is just to Shreveport...it doesn't get any better...
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
Dan

It is a boring drive. However, Natchitoches (the French town of "Steel Magnolias" fame) is halfway between Dallas and New Orleans and is worthy of a stop.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I second the Natchitoches recommendation. Be sure to eat meat pies at Lasyones (sp).

I would suggest stopping in Lafayette along the way and maybe Breaux Bridge, if you do the I-10 route.

If you do the Future I-49 South route (Highway 90), then stops in St. Martinville and the Tabasco Factory in New Iberia would be in order.

I find the drive from Shreveport to Lafayette to be quite scenic - plenty of oak trees nestled in farms.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, everyone. Driving is usually a pleasure for us if we can take the sports car. Even long trips to West Texas are fun! Still, New Orleans is really a long way...

The tips on places to stop is exactly what I need to help us decide.

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM

I drove the boring I-10 corridor to San Antonio many a time, and I always broke up the trip by staying in Lafayette. LOVE that Cajun country. Get in the mood by listening to one of the Cajun radio stations on your way (can't understand most of what they say even if you speak French, but boy is that music fun)!
Great place to eat is Prejean's, where they have a funky Cajun band playing every night, and folks taking a break between eating to dance... Nice place and great food, but nothing pretentious or touristy, IMHO. Roll of paper towels on the table for your crawfish... last time I was there with my husband, we said "Happy Birthday" to an elderly lady there to celebrate with lots of her family and she stopped to chat for a moment--in Cajun. We did a lot of smiling and nodding.

I always tried to stay a ways off the interstate and the Courtyard was a good stop for me because I normally traveled alone, it was in a quieter area, and has interior halls. If you have time, the Acadian Cultural Center or Acadian Village will give you an appreciation for how the Cajun culture evolved in the Atchafalaya swamps.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, FlaAnn. This is great!