ziplining in Costa Rica

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

ziplining in Costa Rica

We would like to try to zipline when we are in Costa Rica. Neither of us has even done it before and although, it sounds exciting, it also sounds a little scary.

Somewhere here, I read about a place that was recommended for novices like us. I remember someone saying that after the first couple of platforms, you could quit if you wanted.

Knowing that might up our courage factor. Does anyone remember that thread or know the place?
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I believe I've read that Arenal Paraiso will let you try a couple of platforms and then back out if necessary, but double check me.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM

I've been ziplining but not in Costa Rica. I thought for sure it would (a) scare me to death; and (b) I would make a fool of myself. It did neither and it was a blast! I think you'll be surprised just how easy it is and how safe you feel. You literally just need to sit on your butt and away you go.

Don't worry about being a novice and just go for it!!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I am quick to think something sounds fun, but when I finally talked my husband into trying a zipline, turns out he was the brave one. I am not afraid of hights, hanging bridges, climbing cliffs, but something about "jumping off" a zipline platform had my brain freezing my legs into statues. We did just a little zip line (in Jamaica not CR) and I was so glad when it was over. I had to close my eyes and step off, pretending that I was just walking, in order to go forward. And yet, I will now be doing a zipline again at my husband's request.
I have read my reports that say sky tram and sky trek (near AOL, in the rainforest reserve) is the most thrilling zipline, so you may want to stay away. This one has a tram ride to the top, and you can tram back down or zipline. This is the one that has a 2500+ zipline between platforms.

you can access some info from the rainforest reserve website "arenalreserve.com"
different company websites as follow:

Costa Rica Arenal Canopy Tour: horseback ride and 5 platforms "crarenalcanopy.com"

Arenal Canopy Tour- 12 platforms 2 hours "miradasarenal.com" from Miradas Hotel

- 2hrs paraiso hotel "hotelloslagos.com"

Ecoglide Tarzan swing- also has zipline "arenalecoglide.com"

I haven't searched these sites yet, so good luck!
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I was reading in the book Key to Costa Rica about the ones that were best - i.e. most thrilling. I decided their idea of best might not be the best for my first time! If I love it, I can do thrilling for my second try.