Winter coat for Santiago, Chile next week?

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Winter coat for Santiago, Chile next week?

I'm off to Santiago next Saturday for business. Looks like the highs are 60F and the lows are 37F w/ rain.

Will be wearing "nice" jeans and blazers/sweaters for work.

Should I take a parka, cashmere coat, leather jacket or Burberry quilted jacket?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Here in Buenos Aires, many men wear the quilted jackets..it has been in the 50's here and lower at night..but expected to warm up...
I doubt a parka would be needed..
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM

not much rain here in Santiago but VERY VERY cold! It is supposed to rain on Tuesday but not much.

Hope you have a lovely stay in Santiago!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Thanks, I am female - Do women wear quilted jackets as well?

helonoftroy,
So does your vote go for the parka or cashmere?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

And how about furry boots? Is it as cold as New York in the winter?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Sorry
Yes, a lot of Burberrys around here as well as the Barbour jackets..I wear one too ..
There might be an occasional night that I would want something heavier but not enough to lug around a heavier coat..no one wears parkas. It is just not that cold..but that is here, don't know about Chile.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Last week temperatures went down till 25F early in the morning... that's pretty cold to me. If it rains shouldn't be that cold but after the rain gets very cold....

I wouldn't bring a parka.... so my vote goes to either a cashmere coat / leather jacket or quilted jacket.

It depends on your tolerance to low temperatures... for example when it gets too cold I wear underpants and thermal t-shirts underneath my clothes.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM

maybe I am a granny...
; )
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM

LOL, no furry boots!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wardrobe consultation. Will let you know what I decide.

Scarlett,
I'm so sorry that I'm missing B.A. on this trip - have been following your adventures.

helenoftroy,
I have a free day in Santiago. What are the must-sees?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM

First of all, good news!!! it won't rain this weekend according to Accuweather so you won't have to worry: temperatures will be between 40F (min) and 60F (max).
; - )

If you like skiing you'll enjoy going to Valle Nevado (http://www.vallenevado.com/index.php?lang=eng). Please check the website for any question.

If you are more into culture and wine tasting, I would recommend you to rent a car and head to the coast, towards Valparaiso and Viña del Mar. Once there visit La Sebastiana (Nerudas' house in Valpo., now museum)
http://www.fundacionneruda.org/ing/home_ingles.htm

On the way to Valparaiso you can visit Veramonte Vineyard (http://www.veramonte.com/contact.html)

If you prefer to stay in Santiago, you can go to Concha y Toro Vineyard (www.conchaytoro.com). Near CyT Vineyard you can visit the Cajon del Maipo, a mountain village with lovely places to eat home made pies, cakes, hot chocolate, also has roadside stands selling fresh-baked bread and empanadas (typical food). You can also do rafting on Maipo river, ride horses,....

In the city you can visit Plaza de Armas (Main Square in downtown), there are the main building in colonial age. Near the plaza you can visit pre-Columbian Museum. Then head up to Lastarria (or Bellas Artes) barrio and walk up Santa Lucias' Hill to have a view of downtown Santiago.
You can also go to San Cristobal's Hill (higher than first one) and if you are lucky (no smog) you'll see Great Santiago from above w/ a beautiful view of Andes Mountain.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Mil gracias, helenoftroy.

I have printed this out and will try to arrange at least one of your suggestions.

And thanks for arranging the good weather!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:59 PM

A cashmere coat or Burberry, depending on how cold- or warm-blooded you are. A parka isn't a good idea simply because people in Santiago tend to dress up more than people in the US, in general. If you are thinking about going skiing, though, by all means bring a parka - or you can rent one here. It isn't as cold now as it was a week ago, but it can still get very chilly, and you'll find that some restaurants and other public places are much less well heated than similar places in the US would be.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM

You're very welcome crosscheck!

Hope you enjoy your visit to my country and get back soon to visit Patagonia, Atacama Desert and more...!

If you need anything you can e-mail me at: [email protected]

Have a good flight!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Santiago and luckily, after checking the weather, I decided at the last minute to take a parka(in addition to my quilted Burberry, which I never wore). It was FREEZING and Santiago had its first snowstorm since '99 - City was a winter wonderland w/ lots of happy children because classes were suspended.

A phenomenal trip, but very chilly in Chile.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Thank God you took a parka with you... really it was freezing here, but was a beautiful spectacle for us (since we are not used to it).

So, what did you do on your free day?
How did you like it?