Wildlife/Bird photography - attn: Photographers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in CR over the holidays (26-4), spending most of the time in the Osa/Cabo Matapalo, book ending in Sanchiri and Savegre.

Purchased the latest in Panasonic ultrazoom camera tech, the DMC-FZ28, as well I've also purchase a 1.7x teleconverter to add to the 18x zoom.

Trip photo's this time should hopefully be more than my previous efforts of an indistinct splash of color against the green.

Can anyone advise what I'll need in the way of filters, or anything else I may need to get some decent shots?

TIA, Tom.

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:32 AM

Ultrazoom + teleconverter ... even with stabilized camera, you will more than likely need a tripod/monopod of some sort for really sharp photos ... especially in heavily canopied areas where the lighting is dim.

Be careful changing to a higher ISO in dim light conditions; noise gets introduced very easily in non-DSLR cameras.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, got that covered, got a monopod/trek stick.

Noise is an issue with the ultrazoom's particularly from ISO 800 on, the FZ28 does some compensatory processing, but I'll try and keep the ISO as low as practically possible and use the monopod.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I've used the Canon S3 with image stabilization and a teleconverter and have not required a tri- or monopod---in bright, morning light.
Many birds seem to love to sit on a high twig in the sun, and I tend to stay aimed at the twig, waiting for a bird. I would not use a filter, other than the neutral density filter to protect the lens.

Remember that your teleconverter will eat up some light, maybe a stop. Depending on how the zoom lens is made, you may also be getting less light at full zoom.

The biggest problem is getting enough light to capture flocks of firey-billed aricaris as they come out to preen in the later afternoon.

I would advise NOT to try to center and size everything into the perfect frame. If you have the megapixels, just get all the critter and then crop in post-processing.

I'm shifting to a DSLR for the next trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Kinkazote

Thanks for the heads up on the light, the camera has an auto bracket function (3 shots +/-1) that I'll now use, along with shooting in raw/jpg combo capture, I really hope to get some good shots.

I hear you on nitpicking the perfect shot, that'll be hard for someone who is positively anal like me, and I'll try to fill the 4 and 8gb cards.

The monopod will be put to good use, they are multifunctional, perfect for clearing cob webs from the trail.

Had to look up the term aricaris - I'm now looking forward to that sight, must be magnificent - thanks again for the mind picture.

Re the dslr, ask me after this trip - I think I'm getting the bug.