Basic Settings for FZ30???

Jul 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Basic Settings for FZ30???

OK, I know, I know, I'm cutting this fine BUT..... We're off to Rwanda and Kenya on July 20th (only 10 days!!!) and we're taking our span spanking new FZ30. The thing is, I really haven't gotten to grips with the ISO and shutter speed settings and now at this stage am looking at using one of the Auto settings and just using the focous adjustment. But which one??? Should I use Sport mode of Scenery mode or 'P' or Auto? Should I 'warm up' the images or not? What setting should I use on our Gorilla treck??...... Can you tell I'm beginning to panic a little?

So all you photographers out there PLEASE PLEASE help me stop panicing and I SWEAR I'm going on a photography course before my next trip

Imelda
Jul 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Don't panic Imelda.
When in doubt or unless you've had plenty of practice time, I would just put your camera on Auto, focus the lense length til it looks focused and shoot.

The camera will decide which f- stop and how much light to allow in etc. You'll be amazed at how good this works.

In fact, I have some photos where I used manual settings and auto on some of the same shots and I found the pictures to be very similar. Some even better on auto.

I mostly shot jpegs. and occasionally if I had a money shot, I shot in tiff. or raw which will eat big chunks of your memory.

I think those gorilla or dark faces are difficult shots regardless of your camera or capibilities, as there's got to be some light coming from somewhere to open the lense enough to see the dark facial features against a dark background. This seems to be a problem with most of the gorilla pics. I've seen, regardless of what type of camera used. I'll let the experts address that for you.

You will be amazed at the powers of photoshop or similar though when you start editing. I had some very dark faced monkeys come to life with a little photoshop manuvering.

You can check out my trip photos if you'd like. If you'd like setting or other info. on any of these pics. please let me know.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34817288

Hope this helps a bit;
Sherry
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I forgot to mention the video/audio feature. You must hold the shutter down the whole time while recording, which is tricky (missed a perfect 10 ft. away hippo shot because of this) - practice this as well as playing with your camera prior to leaving.
You can easily plug the adapter into your tv for review rather than downloading - you can also record live, which is a good way to study your recording abilities in real time - a very cool feature, indeed.

Another feature that took getting used to was the view finder. If the dig. display is not placed back into it's original position, you can't use the traditional view finder.
Best of luck!
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:13 AM

shouldn't write when one hand's on the keyboard and one foot's half out the door - it was a RHINO not hippo shot - geez.
Jul 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Sherry, HOW on earth did I miss your post with those photos???? They are FANTASTIC. I absolutely LOVE the lion under the tree and that menacing looking leopard and the baby zebra, baby hippo, wildebeast and baby .... Soooo many fabulous shots. If mine turn out half as good I'll be a very happy camper. I'm wasn't actually planning on using the video feature on the FZ30 (we're taking a separate camcorder) but with that zoom I might be able to get some neat footage so I'll practice with it. That's a bummer about missing that Rhino, but you got some GREAT stills to make up for it.
Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated and I'm now a little calmer.

Imelda
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM

i just returned from kenya and tanzania with my brand new fz30. i used auto the whole time and when i had extra time in places i played with different settings - found the pictures to be absolutely perfect on auto setting. better than my novice calculations on manual. if you send your email i will send you a couple of pictures and i think you will agree you need nothing but the auto most of the time.
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:17 PM

forgot to include my email. [email protected]
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

aowens, I would love to see some of those photos if it's not too much trouble. My e-mail is im_civil at hotmail dot com. If you put something like Fodors pictures in the title I will rescue it from my junk mail!
It really is great to hear so many good things about the Auto function of the FZ - put's me so much more at ease.

Imelda
Jul 10th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Imelda: I almost always used the fully automatic, and occasionally used the "p" - this kicks in the optical zoom, which is not as sharp as just on the digital, (or do I have them reversed?) but wow does it bring things in close. Just be sure to use support if you're in that mode, as it will really pick up any shake. I also used the manual focus on occassion - so you may want to practice a bit with that. That's for when the lion is behind some grass, and the camera just insists on focusing on that grass! I missed a great leopard shot because I used autofocus when I should have switched it over to manual. I agree with Sherry and Aowens - the auto setting works great!

This is the link to my "missed" lepoard - just don't let WayneH see - he gets so upset about leopards in L.Nakura http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&h=1&y=nzhuxh

If I get spacey (or busy) - I sincerely hope you have a wonderful trip!

Cyn
Jul 11th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Hi Imelda,
Just to clarify, we never used the auto. focus, only the manual. The auto focus is probably ok for shots that don't have much depth of field i.e. like a side of a building. For anything that's detailed or at a distance, I would suggest using the manual focus - just look thru the viewfinder, turn the outermost part of the lense to focus, bring shutter half down on various segments of the scene to hold focus on that part i.e. background and do again for subject and shoot.
Hope that makes sense.
Sherry
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Ann - Thank you so much for the e-mail, those photos are excellent. The cheetah and cubs are sooo cute. What was the setting used? Please post a trip report plus photos, I'm sure everyone here would love to see and read! What was your itinerary?

Oh Cyn, that's a real pity to have missed that shot, it would have been a real beauty.... one good thing has come out of it though, you have warned me of the perils 'grass in front of subject' type situations so HOPEFULLY I'll remebber to manual focus. I'm really hoping to get a glimpse of Leopard in Nakuru so fingers crossed.

Sherry - Thanks for the tip. Can I just ask (because I'm not the most intellegent when it comes to cameras), do you mean that I should focous on the background first and the hold the shutter down half way and keep holding while I refocous on the subject and then press?? Sorry for such a silly question.
Thanks a million guys,
Imelda
Jul 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Any more advice??
Jul 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Imelda:

Maybe you could upload some of your practice shots and ask the experts to take a look (I did that before we left, and got some great tips. I titled it something like non-safari photos, looking for tips). Maybe include some shots with things that you didn't like, and ask them how to fix?

You're really on short time now, aren't you???

Cyn
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Cyn - We leave on THURSDAY!!! I can't believe it really is nearly here AND I'm on vacation since yesterday so that makes it all the better... I'm getting that 'butterflies in my tummy' thing and I'm sure to have a little panic episode before I go. I'm going try to sort most of my packing tomorrow.. Hopefully!

Anyways, back to the pictures - I'm going to ask a REALLY REALLY stupid question now.... how do you upload to kodak? I'm afraid I've never uploaded to any site before and am a bit technically challenged in that line . If it's not too complicated I'll give it a go.

Thanks again Cyn,
Imelda
Jul 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM

1. Go to kodakgallery.com. Be sure you are signed in to your account.
2. Click on the tab that says upload photos
3. Type in the name of the album that you are about to create in the block provided.
Keep the title simple and something that will remind you of what the photos are in that album.
4. Click continue
5. Click add pictures
6. A new window will open on your screen. It will say “open” on the top of blue frame around the window. Inside the window, at the top, is a block that says “look in”. Click on that down arrow, and, if you are uploading directly from your camera, find and select the disk that represents your camera. (On my computer, my camera is listed as Removable Disk [F:].) If you have already uploaded your photos to your computer, find the drive and file that contains your photos.
7. You may need to change the “view” to thumbnails, so you can see your shots.
8. To choose the photo(s) you want to upload, left click the first picture. For each additional picture, hold the control key and left click each additional picture. If you want to upload all the pictures in the file, left click on the first picture, scroll to the last photo, and hold the alt key and left click. This should select all photos.
9. Once you have chosen all the photos you want to upload, click the add button in that window. You will then see miniature versions of your photos in the main screen.
10. Click start upload
11. Once the upload is complete, you can then work in the album online.
12. To then make available on Fodors, (I lifted the following from Joan’s thread – by Leely & Sandi):
Click "share album" on the top of the kodak gallery screen. Email the invitation to yourself. When you get the email, click on the link provided to view your photos. Copy the link from *that* window.

And paste it here for all to see!

or, after sending to yourself, you can scroll to the bottom on the invite where you will find the link that can be cut/pasted here on Fodors. To test that this is the correct link, cut/paste that into the browser bar and access your photos.

I would be happy to walk you through the process on the phone. It is easier than I’ve made it sound here! Send me an email with your phone number (or I can email you back mine – whatever), and I’ll be happy to chat. cdspjf at globalnetisp dot net

One word of caution - if I’m remembering correctly, you’re on dial up(as am I ), so don’t upload many photos at one time – it will fail.

Cyn

Jul 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh Cyn, You really are a first class STAR ! I'm going to try to post some photos on Kodak following your step by step BUT first I need to upload the photos to my computer.... I have been taking the very easy route of practicing uploading to my new Epson P2000 but haven't actually gotten 'round to putting them from there on to my PC. Also, I'm not too sure, but I think I might have actually deleted all the shots I was unhappy with so I'll have to get shooting again - now where's Bobo (that's our very large black lab!)??? He's the subject of choice together with some birds that venture into our garden to eat our newly planted grass seed!!!! Soooo, if you give me a little time I'll get all that sorted first and if I get stuck I'll e-mail you and give you a ring. Thank you SO much!!!!
Imelda
Jul 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Hi Imelda,
If you refocus you'll need to let the shutter come back up and then focus on your second subject, otherwise if in the auto mode the camera will get confused. It's kind of tricky all while trying to keep your camera somewhat steady. For now, I'd just point and shoot as it sounds like you don't have much practice time. Your pics. in that mode will still be wonderful.
Hope that makes sense. I'll be away for a bit so I'll leave it to Cyn (our resident Fz30 expert).
Happy and safe travels Imelda.
Sherry
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sherry,
Hope you're off doing something nice . You are certainly leaving me in capable hands with Cyn. I'm working on getting some really bad photos uploaded on Kodak - I didn't delete some of them after all (I gave up after midnight last night because it kept giving me a bad URL). I'm going to give it another shot now.

Will catch up with you when we both get back - happy travels to you too.
Imelda
Jul 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Aaarrraaaggghhh!! I have tried and tried to upload a few pictures to Kodak but IT JUST WON'T DO IT !!- even when I try to upload just one!! That's what you get with sloooowww dialup!! I am going to pop in to work during the week to use the facilities the days and I will try it from there. Hopefully it will work.

Imelda
Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Another question for FZ30 users- Have any of you invested in additional zoom or wide angle lenses?

I saw the following lenses for offer on ebay for a great price (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-2X-Te...QQcmdZViewItem).

I was think of getting these or something similiar....I don't want to invest too much in the FZ30 as I will likely move up to a different SLR in the next year. Any thoughts on zoom and wide angle lense attachments for the FZ30?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO