Lin - Just wondering if you posted photos yet? :-)

Aug 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Lin - Just wondering if you posted photos yet? :-)

Sorry to bug you about this! Also, how did your G6 work out for you? Thanks!
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Lin

Hi cooncat, don't worry you aren't bugging me as much as I'm bugging myself! I got thru my pix in terms of deleting and editing, and then I burned out and just couldn't look at 'em anymore. But after a few days off I really will get them online.

First of all remember I'm truly an amateur. I loved my G6, but as you'll see when I post my pix, I had a stupid newbie thing happen to me that I could have fixed right away - there was a smear on my lens! I thought it was just a weird thing showing up on my LED screen so I didn't clean it off until almost the end of my trip lt;. Then I strugged with knowing when to use the adapter with polarizing filter, and wished I had bought a hood. On the canoe rides, when I used the filter, the pix came out better, otherwise there were circles of light in them. I didn't like fumbling the adapter off and on during the game drives (like, the polarizer needed to be on halfway thru the morning drive and taken off soon after evening drive began). I preferred the build of my Panasonic Lumix DMZ10 that I used last year, since I could just screw on my filters without an adaptor and since the 12x telephoto is built in. But the photos from my G6 were crisper and of course I could crop and zoom them without losing quality. Although advertised as very fast, and it is, for a digital, there was still a few seconds' delay while I turned on the camera - it's annoying when you want an instant photo. And I decided to mute the camera since the noises are also annoying during safaris, which resulted in another stupid mistake - I couldn't hear when the picture was taken so sometimes I thought I had taken a picture but I had only focussed.....I KNOW YOU WON'T BE AS DUMB AS ME!! Still amazingly I got some great shots which I'll post. I brought both cameras and I wore both around my neck and switched back and forth in order to use both the 7.5 MP resolution on the Canon and the 12x zoom on the Panasonic. That got old, too, my neck was sore! What I want now is a 7 to 8 MP camera with a built in 10-12x zoom that gets good reviews...shouldn't be long before someone is successful. I bought a telephoto lens for the G6 but never took it out of its case. I would love your feedback once you see my photos.
Aug 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM

Lin -- you may think you may be a newbie, but from your description of the cameras you carry, you seem to be well advised.

I've carried both the G6 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ-20 with me on all of my recent trips -- I use the G6 because of its 24mm wideangle conversion lens, and the FZ-20 because of its 432mm f/2.8 Image Stabilized Leica lens. And like you, I shoot them in tandem. (I avoid that sore neck you mention by carrying only the G6 on a neckstrap. I use a wrist-strap on the FZ-20, and keep it in a case on my hip.)

Meanwhile your hope for a high quality, light weight, super-zoom, high MP camera is about to be granted, Lin. Panasonic will start selling its new Lumix FZ-30 next month -- virtually the same Leica lens as the FZ-20, but with 8MP. And get this: if you choose to use it at 5MP, you can zoom it all the way out to 535mm without image deterioration.

It might not be a DSLR, but with Leica glass and a decent sensor, it is a lot easier to carry around all day.

(I also might ditch the G6 soon -- Panasonic is releasing its new pocket sized 8MP Lumix LX1 next month as well, which has a 28mm Leica IS lens, and is also the first digital camera offering a 16:9 aspect ratio as one of its formats.)

You can see the image quality at ISO 80 on both of these cameras at:

http://dcresource.com/reviews/panaso.../gallery.shtml

http://dcresource.com/reviews/panaso.../gallery.shtml

Here are links to full details on these two new Panasonic/Leica Lumix cameras:

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...z30/index.html

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/lx1/index.html

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Phil Douglis
The Douglis Visual Workshops
http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

Aug 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Lin

Hi Phil,
that is exciting news! I can't wait to see the new Panasonic and read the reviews but I already feel I can trust the quality of that lens. I probably wouldn't have investigated dcresource.com until my next safari so thanks for the heads-up! And good tip about wearing one camera on my hip, I'll remember that too.
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Lin

Phil, whoa I just had a peek at your website and it looks extremely intriguing. I bookmarked it and will peruse it after I post my pictures, ha ha!
Aug 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lin! I am really anxious to see the shots. Sorry you had such troubles, though! That would drive me nuts! I am actually planning to go the DSLR route, after much research and thought. (I have film SLR experience including dark room work.) I haven't decided on the body yet, only that it will be a Canon. Will be in touch when I see your photos!
Cooncat
Aug 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Phil - nice photos and site. Thanks for sharing.. I always get such good ideas from looking at others' work.

Lin: The Panasonic FZ-30 also gets pretty good reviews on dpreview.com. Check it out!
Aug 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Wow! this is really exciting news.

I used the FZ20 and was quite happy with it. But the FZ30 sounds awesome. I think most of the time 5MB is good enough and would love the extra zoom, plus the option of 8MB.

So, does anyone want to buy a lightly used FZ20?

Judy
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks, Lin, for the comment on my website. I post it as a learning resource for photographers who wish to improve their ability to express ideas with their imagery. Feel free to post your comments on my photos and ask me any questions you might have. I will be glad to respond to all of them.

I have hunch that both of us will eventually be using the FZ-30. How could we pass it up?

And I see that Linjudy might be joining us, too.

Phil
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks, Cooncat, for taking the time to look at my website. That is why it is there -- to give you good ideas. I hope you will find many of them!

Phil
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Phil,

Just took a quick look at your website. It's awesome! What a great wealth of information/tips. Thanks for posting.

Judy

Search this Thread