which spanish language school next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from a great week at Becari in Oaxaca and last year at SLI, Cuernavaca. Now I am searching for my next school. I only have a week so I can't afford to spend a long time on a bus. I was thinking about either Queretero or someplace else that I could fly into or that was not more than a 2 hour bus ride from Mex. City airport. I also thought about going back to Oaxaca for Becari or maybe the Insituto de Cultural next time. Any dvice?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Just my two cents. I have been to Becari maybe six times or so. I have also gone to school in Salitllo and Cuernavaca. Becari seems to be a good school and Oaxaca is a good place to be a student. I have enjoyed going back more than once.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I'm spending four weeks @ Inst Habla Hispana (www.mexicospanish.com) in SMdA.
M
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Mikemo how about a report on that school when you get done?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

I would like to be able to see a lot of reviews for Spanish schools on this board. It would help us all.

I really liked Becari and would go back in a heartbeat. It was run a little looser than SLI Cuernavaca but I was really impressed with the quality of the teachers (at both) and the quality of the Curriculum. I visited Instituto de Cultural one day and wow! What a campus. Very nice. But I hear the noise level there is a lot higher because of the busy intersection right outside the wall, but I really liked the campus. However, Becari offers a huge advantage being 3 blocks from El Zocolo. Plus, I liked the compactness of the school as I did at Cuernavaca. I also hear good things about a school in Guanajuato (I think it is Ole). I have been to Guanajuato as a tourist and really liked the town plus it is only 30 minutes from the airport in Leon which has good air service. With only a week at a time I can't afford a mistake. Some people like Guatamala, either Antigua or Quezaltenango (sp?) but airfare starts getting more expensive and travel times longer.

Dude: if you have been to Becari so many times do you start getting the same instruction repeated or do you manage to always be moving into different levels?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I've done two spanish language learning trips over the past 5 years: once in Antigua Guatemala, the other time in Quito Ecuador. Both were *excellent* experiences, but very, very different.

Both cities are places that have dozens upon dozens of spanish schools for foreigners. Before going to Antigua, I searched for schools on the internet: didn't find that many, but one guidebook (I think it was Lonely Planet) said there were at least a hundred, so I showed up without making prior reservations. No problem. I went to a smaller school called Sacatepequez Acadamia de Espanol. One on one instruction each day, plus lots of fun day trip excursions out to the volcanoes, walking tours of the city, etc. Antigua is a casual, smaller city with a huge colonial history: a very good place to do a spanish language trip!

I did the Quito trip maybe a year and half ago. Quito also has at least a hundred spanish schools, but this time I tried pre-arranging things via the internet. I chose the Simon Bolivar school (www.simon-bolivar.com). They were VERY good, but still casual, inexpensive, and fun. One-on-one instruction for 4 hours a day cost me only about $160 per week. Cheap. The school is in a mostly residential neighborhood, and again, lots of day trips, city walks, weekend activities etc. I also liked some of the late afternoon activities. One of the teachers is into Andean music and will give an hour or two demo on playing traditional Andean instruments. Another evening, a teacher will show you how to make typical South American drinks. Fun stuff, plus good, very personal instruction.

I've been thinking of doing one of these trips next year, but haven't decided for sure. I'm kind of thinking of heading to Cuernavaca since I've heard they have the best variety of language learning opportunities in Mexico. Lots of time to mull it over though...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:41 AM

At Becari I have had some of the same instructors many times but they have always managed to keep pushing me forward. They keep putting me in levels slightly above where I think my abilities lie. I have talked to folks at other levels who felt they were repeating too much. I encourage them to talk to the directors and change classes which they will do to accomodate the students.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Dude, et al,
Will do! the program is over on 24 Sept and I'll be back on the 30th - kind of a no brainer as I live a short block away. Still, perhaps the best in SMdA.
M
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

ok, here is another question. Both schools I have attended (Cuernavaca and Oaxaca) have been during August when there were a lot of students at the schools and an abundance of classes of different levels. If I were to go to a school in late Jan or early Feb would I run into a problem where there are much fewer students therefore less different levels of classes because they also would not have as many teachers? Also in homestays there may be the possibilty of less chance of other students being in the homestays during late Jan or early Feb so there would be less opportunities for interaction? Opinions?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM

In my experience at Becari anyway, the time of year has not affected the levels of intruction. I can say from being there from about January 1-14 a few times it seemed there were less students around. In one homestay I was the only student with an elderly Oaxacan women. No interaction with other students, but "aprendia o aprendia" (I learned it or else) as far as my Spanish went. By the way, In addition to January I have been there early February and the weather is really great.