Search

Which Riviera Maya Resort?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Riviera Maya Resort?

We are planning a trip to the Riviera Maya in March. The travel agent recommended four places and all look great. We were hoping for some input as to which is the best, especially with two teenagers.
The resorts she gave us to choose from are: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Barcello Maya Colonial & Tropical or the Grand Serinas Riviera Maya.

Prices at all 4 were within a few hundred dollars. Our only drawback was that the Grand Serinas is the only one that would put us 4 to a room. The Barcelo would give us a suite. The other two said we had to have two rooms and can't guarantee that they'd be adjoining.

Any pros/cons to any of these?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are all wonderful resorts. It depends what you are looking for.
The Barcelo is HUGE, but they have snorkeling right from the beach which is good. They all will have activities for your teens.
The Iberostar is closer to the airport --only a 25 min. ride. The others are further.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought they all looked good. We've stayed at other Iberostar properties before (but not the Lindo) so that's why I was thinking of trying a totally different property. We do enjoy snorkeling.

Our biggest drawback is now that my son turned 18 no resort seems to want 3 adults in a room so they all are telling us either to upgrade to a suite, which is costly, or that we must have 2 rooms but wont guarantee that they will be together. I really don't want my kids (even though they are teens) in another room where I can't be there to supervise at night. No matter where we stay, we have to pay so much more now that we have an "adult". Our usual trips to the area have jumped in price substantially now having an 18 year old. They did that to us in Florida too though so I guess we just have to get used to that as part of our travel plans from now on.

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That "no more than two adults in one room policy" is in effect during spring break. It is a deterrant to spring breakers taking over the resorts.
Do they all have that policy? I know the Iberostars do. I wasn't aware that the Barcelo had that policy also.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

The travel agent told us it's standard now year round for all the resorts because we were originally going to go over Christmas break but had to delay it to March. Only the Grand Sirenis would allow 4 to a room. The Barcello said we have to take a suite. The others told us 2 rooms definite. The thing is, even with 2 rooms, there isn't much of a difference in cost. All 4 resorts were only within $500 from the most expensive to the least expenisive so it seems to be a charge per person and not per room.

We went to the Florida Keys in March and Sanibel/Captiva in June and it was the same for both trips with totally different hotels.