Which Jungle Lodge

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Jungle Lodge

My head is spinning trying to decide between which Jungle Lodge to pick from the Puerto Maldonado area. The Reserva Amazonica, Manu Expeditions, Explorer's Inn, Tambopata Research Center, etc. Each has redeeming qualities. The farther one gets from P.Maldonada the more wildlife. The less rustic, the less likely to experience the jungle. I understand the decision will be (and should be)based upon our comfort level vs the desire to see wildlife but I am wondering if anyone could share their experience with these lodges (or another lodge)to help us decide. Is there such a lodge that offers a little of both? My husband and I are in our 60's so we are not likely to do a zip-line, but we're seasoned international travelers and can do a several mile hike into the Jungle or kayak without a problem. The only thing we'd really like to see the Parrot Lick. Any suggestions? Does the length of days matter? I see that the more days one stays, the farther into the jungle one is taken. Is that correct?

Personal experiences only please. Do not promote your lodge or guide service.

Thanks in advance for all replies
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Corto Maltes lodge has a clay lick and viewing blind on their property.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Hi

A year ago, in February, we stayed three nights at the Posadas Amazonas. We really enjoyed the experience.
The following is a link to our pictures:

http://vcrane.gotdns.com/Peru%202007/index_20.html

As you can see, we saw macaws at the clay lick. The Posadas Amazonas site does not mention the macaw clay lick, but they do have one. I think it is not as dependable as some of the other macaw sites so they don't want to mislead people (a novel idea) but we saw both scarlet and red & green macaws there. There is also a separate parrot clay lick but we didn't see any parrots there - such is the vagaries of wildlife viewing.

One day we went to an oxbow lake, searching for otters (didn't see any) but did see a lot of birds and fished for piranha. Another day we went to a local medicine man's garden of herbal remedies - it was rather interesting.

While hiking in the jungle, we came upon jaguar prints, probably from the evening before.

One of the evenings we went out with a spider expert who was there to film a discovery channel special on the Brazilian wandering spider (which has obviously wandered into Peru). We were going out to see if we could collect some large specimens prior to the commencement of filming.

The food at Posadas Amazonas was very good. The rooms are very open air but you have mosquito netting over the beds. There is no electricity in the rooms, but in the evening there is electricity in the dining area for charging cameras etc. (and they have cool refrigerated beverages available there too).

Since there is no electricity, the showers are cold but at the end of a warm humid day, it's actually quite refreshing.

We were very pleased with our experience at Posadas Amazonas. (we are mid-fifties and fairly adventerous travelers)

Hope this helps

Pamela

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
P_M

bookmarking

I will reply later tonight or over the weekend. I was just in the jungle near Puerto Maldonado in late June but I will have to look up the name of my lodge when I get home. Our lodge was quite a distance from Puerto Maldonado and we did see many animals and birds.

I'll get back w/you later with more details.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
P_M

eveningcrane, you and I were posting at the same time so I'm just now seeing your post. I looked at your pics and that is indeed the same lodge where I stayed. I absolutely loved it and I highly recommend this lodge. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Your pictures are great! Thanks. It helps to see what the area looks like first hand and hear personal experiences, good and bad. We have considered the Posadas Amazonas. It may be our pick. Was there a lot of down time in your opinion? Were the guides pretty knowlegadable? What about the canopy walk? Anything that disappointed you?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
P_M

There really wasn't much down time, of course all activities are optional. The guides were great. My only disappointment was not having one more day to stay there.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Also a big fan of Posada Amazonas here, but I have stayed at or visited others you mention, and all are good choices.

A couple of things:

You mention Manu Expeditions. If you go with them, you won't go through Puerto Maldonado at all. Their excursions take you to the Manu Biosphere Reserve, which you reach overland from Cusco (can be a long trip) or via a small-plane flight to an airstrip there.

For the others, which are in the Tambopata Reserve, you fly to Puerto Maldonado. A lodge representative meets you at the airport -- they all hold up signs -- and they take you to the docks in town and off you go by boat to your lodge.

Of the two reserves, you see more wildlife in Manu, because it's more isolated, but you will still see a lot in Tambopata. Either is an amazing experience.

You can have as much downtime as you want on your stay. In a way, these are like organized tours because of the logistics to getting to the places, but nothing says you have to participate in any activity. You could spend the whole time reading a book if you like. But you can do that anywhere. So if there's an activity that requires you to roll out of bed at 5 a.m., I'd say, do it.

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Hi

As I remember it, at the Posadas Amazonas there was a before breakfast excursion - your guide does the wake-up calls at some bizarre time in the early morning (in la madrugada) and shortly after that you depart for the first excursion of the day. Of course, this makes sense since just before dawn is a wonderful wildlife viewing time.

Back for breakfast and then another excursion. Back for lunch and I think (but am not sure if I am remembering clearly) a little time for a siesta and then a pre dinner excursion. Some nights there may be an after dinner excursion also.

Again all excursions are optional, of course. I found the pace active but not tiring.

The one drawback is that it's a rain forest and there is a distinct possibility of a downpour canceling an excursion. This did happen to us with one of our early morning excursions. We were there in the rainy season (February) so rain was an issue, but it really didn't cause us any noticeable problem other than the one cancelled excursion.

The lodge provides rubber boots for hiking the trails. They even cut down one pair of boots for a petite woman whose muscular calves wouldn't let her get her feet into the right size boots. I thought that was very accommodating.

For us the choice of Posadas Amazonas was influenced by time considerations. The more remote sites can eat up two whole day getting there and getting back, so we opted for the closer in, but still remote, Posadas Amazonas, rather than other locations.

We actually left Posadas Amazonas on the same day that we were flying home out of Lima- something I strongly recommend not doing! If per chance you are contemplating such foolishness - don't do it. But that's a story for another day.

Let us know what you decide. Where else are you going?

Pamela

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful information! I can always count on Fodorites to be helpful.

Actually, we're trying to figure out a way to go Peacock Bass fishing too. It would be the thrill of a life-time! But, it seems so costly and is not very close to Lima,where we fly into to begin our adventure in Peru.
Anyone have information abou Peacock Bass Fishing in Peru? It's more common in Brazil I think.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM

My husband, an avid fly fisherman, wanted to do this too but we went in May--too early for this. I think the season is more July into Sept. And, we went to the Iquitos area.

If you are interested in the Iquitos area I highly recommend Amazonia Expeditions. We had a private guide, and we walked with him about peacock bass fishing, and we also talked with the lodge's owner before we booked. This lodge would acomodate you with the fishing if you wnet there because people have private guides and get to choose their activities rather than being scheduled on a group activity.

Take a look at this link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=35135159

Also, here's a link to my really long trip report from Peru.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=35136471
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I stayed at Explorer's Inn, Tambopata Research Center back in Apr 2006 - loved it!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
yi

In 2006,We stayed in Heath River Wildlife Center 4 nights. Four and half hrs rided by motor boat, no electricity, only 3 candles in the room, but we have private bath room and hot water. Electric supply in the Hall from 6-10pm. We had two days rain very hard. All night long, I heard different noises from moneys, insects, wind & rain. It really was like listening to an orchestra. But I think it was an unforgettable experience.We were very lucky to have a chance to see a puma as well.

Have a look my photos.
http://www.pbase.com/monicawong/south_america_2006

yi