Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Which airline between Buenos Aires and Rio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not hearing good things at all about TAM or AEROLINAS ARGENTINA. What's the best nonstop carrier between these two cities? Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Varig seems to (something I'm looking into right now). Let me know if you find any others.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Varig does this flight, as does Gol, a cheap carrier. TAM is usually ok for short flights too.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! I must sound like an idiot, but TAM does make me nervous after reading some reports on Flyertalk etc. Have you flown it recently? It's the best connection for us out of BA.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM

I have flown Varig, TAM and GOL.

Varig, which went bankrupt and was recently purchased by GOL and is now flying again, is apparently a very different airline from what it was shortly before its demise. Yet, my experience with it, and that of others, left such a bad taste in my mouth I would hesitate flying Varig again. At least not until it has some track record.

Both TAM and GOL I would have no hesitancy in flying. GOL is the Brazilian SouthWest Air. Newish planes (some brand new), quick turn around on flights and few frills. But you can select your seats on line and the flights all have quick food and beverage service. TAM carries, I believe, more passengers than any other airline in Brazil now. Its a full service airline with int'l routes. For that matter, GOL too was full service, if on the budget side. All flights nowadays, just about everywhere, are subject to delays. Pick the flight with the best price and schedule and have fun (except for Aerolineas Argentinas, a line I would not get on at this time since chances of an on time takeoff, etc., seem very poor, not to mention an absence of customer service).
Have fun. Brazil is great.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

tengohambre,

Thank you so much for your help. I think I've been listening too much to friends who had a really bad experience on TAM. Of course you can have a bad experience on any airline, as I know too well (!). We're looking forward to a great trip in BA and Brazil next Christmas.