Search

Where to stay on Roatan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:14 AM
Karen

Where to stay on Roatan

My husband and I have been looking about going to Roatan sometime in the near future and we were going to stay at the Fantasy Island Beach Resort but I have heard so many good things about Anthony's Key Resort. The Fantasy Island beach resort is offered by the travel brochures, where as I haven't seen any brochures offer Anthony's Key before. Where do you recommend to stay. I snorkel but don't dive and my husband doesn't swim. All he will be doing is relaxing by the beach reading a good book, which is something we can both handle doing for two weeks.<BR>We will be going for two weeks, so would like to know where you would recommend staying.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Karen

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM
TC

We stayed on West Bay Beach in a private home at West Bay Village last year. It was wonderful. There are several cottages in the complex. (www.westbayvillage.com) The snorkeling from the beach in this area is amazing and the beach is the best I've ever seen. The caretakers, Emiliana and Claudio, are wonderful and very helpful with arrangements. If you don't dive, I don't think Anthony's Key Resort is a good choice as it's really all about diving. I don't know anything about Fantasy Island. If you have more questions, contact me.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:56 PM
Leslie

Anthony's Key is strictly for diving.

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantasy island is kind of remote. try casa calico for 50 bucks a night (it should be around80 dollars comparitivly) you can walk to snorkeling and hammocks abound everywhere. let me know if you need any more help. Anthonys key is great if your into dolphins or diving but not for just lounging. cabins are close to water and path not much privacy. We were on the island for 3 weeks and have some great stories.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Another voice saying that Anthony's Key is all geared towards diving. I'd suggest someplace on West Bay Beach, like West Bay Village or Mayan Princess. Beautiful beaches, not crowded, some decent places to eat, and so on. Don't consider Henry Morgan's, however, unless you're part of an Italian tour group! Visit http://www.roatanet.com and do some exploring.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Oh, and don't confuse West Bay Beach with West End, which is nearby. West End is certainly an interesting little place to visit, eat, and sample some local nightlife (you can take a water taxi from West Bay Beach for under $2), but for beach lounging, West Bay Beach is vastly superior.