Wyndham Reach Resort (Key West)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Wyndham Reach Resort? I am pregnant and would like to get away with my husband before the baby. Key West seems like a nice, short flight from Newark, but I would like to be able to snorkel right off the beach from the hotel and don't know if there snorkeling there is even semi-decent or if the water will be warm enough in Mid-December.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Key West doesn't have very good beaches. I don't think there is snorkeling from shore, other than maybe at the part at Fort Zachary Taylor. I suspect the water will be too cold for me over Thanksgiving, but I'm a water temperature wimp.

I think there are nonstop flights from Newark to Belize on Saturdays, might be a better option for snorkeling.

Jean
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:35 PM

There is definitely not good snorkeling off the Reach Resort Beach, or anywhere in the Keys unless you want to try off Fort Zachary Taylor when the current isn't rough. The water will be in the low 70's, certainly too cold for me (a Floridian). To be perfectly honest, the water off the Reach beach is very murky, and although I've stayed there a few times, I wouldn't do more than put my feet in.

The Reach has a very nice pool area, however, and you can make snorkeling trips on boats. But again, the water will be cold and the snorkeling off Key West has gone downhill in recent years.

Location wise, the Reach is at the far end (Atlantic side) of the island as far as the shops and action go. You would need to walk more than a mile to get to the beginning of the Duval Street shopping area in Old Town. The south end of Duval Street is only three blocks away, though.

Rate wise, I've always booked through Hotwire and Expedia and never paid more than $79.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:25 AM

THere are plenty of good places to snorkel in the Keys. Check out places off of Key West. Key West doesn't have the best beaches in the Keys. You can walk out and snorkel in Bahia Honda or Sombrero Beach in Marathon. Plenty of quiet waterfront places to stay and less people than Key West. But, the water won't be very warm.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM

If you decide to stay at Wyndham Reach Resort, transportation to the opposite end of the island won't be a problem. There are several shuttle/tram services to choose from. The hotel looks beautiful and the pool is lovely. You can should be able to get a decent rate for this hotel. Also, that end of the island seems to be more laid back and easy-going if that is what you are looking for.

Right now, Ocean Key Resort at the opposite end of the island is running a wonderful special of $179/nt that includes free breakfast for two. I called earlier this month and they said this special would get me a beautiful suite overlooking Mallory Square. We paid close to $370/nt for the same suite several years ago in December, so it's a great deal. You can sit on your balcony and watch the sunset and all the boats going by and activity at Mallory Square.

Due to the temps of the water that time of year, I'd forego snorkeling. But if you want to give it a try, I'd suggest going to Fort Zachary and checking out the water temps and conditions before investing in a boat trip out to one of the reefs.