Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to stay near San Jose Airport for a 7am flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on where to stay near the airport for a 7am flight (besides the Hampton Inn)?

Also what time should we plan on getting to the airport?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM

There are a couple of places that I am partial to.

Las Orquideas, about 15 or 20 min from the airport, is a nice hotel with a fun bar and good breakfast (which you won't get to enjoy!). It always comes highly recommended.

The best one for us, though, is Hotel Villa Bonita, about 5 min. (or less) from the airport. It is a nice little B&B in Alajuela operated by a young Tico couple, very hospitable. They will arrange your taxi the night before and probably get up and make sure you have something in your stomach before you leave! Excellent Peruvian restaurant right down the street, Inti Raymi, for great corvina (sea bass) and ceviche.

We usually go over to Las Orquideas for drinks or a meal in the evening, even though we prefer to stay at Hotel Villa Bonita. It is better located for our needs. You would enjoy Humberto and Carmen. HVB is a good value as well.

www.hotelvillabonita.com

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM

We stayed at the Adventure Inn in Alejuela the first and last nights of our Costa Rica trip in June/July. It is about 5-10 min. from the airport and will shuttle you there in the morning. Cost under $70 for double.Nice rooms with Jacuzzi.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I would also say Orquideas Inn. I had a 7am departure last time I was there and Luis arrived promptly at 4:45am to take me to the airport. It was only a 10 minute drive at that time of the morning. I still had about an hour and 20 minutes to wander about.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM

How nice do you want and how much are you willing to spend? After a long week of hiking, climbing, traveling and exploring, we decided to spend a little, actually alot more, and went to Xandari, 20-30 minutes north of airport, and had the most incredible last day and night. What an incredible resort. Was well worth the money.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:24 PM

If you want someplace cheap, clean, and friendly, with a nice Costa Rican breakfast, I agree with shillmac, the Hotel Villa Bonita is a good choice. Only about a 5-minute taxi ride to the airport.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM

When we go to Costa Rica, we stay at The Dragonfly Inn both upon arrival and upon departure. Owned and run by Dawn and Michael, they're located in Alajuela and will arrange a taxi for you when you fly in.

They also take into consideration the time for your flight when you leave, will arrange a taxi for you, and will be sure you have a bite to eat before you leave.

Dawn and Michael are fabulous hosts. Their Inn is comfy, with all the comforts of home. What a perfect way to start and end your Costa Rica travels.

If you go, tell them Patty and Jeff from Reno Nevada send hugs!!

http://www.dragonflyinncr.com/index.html
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Personally, with all due respect, nothing like repeated cut & pasted "reviews" posted in several different threads turns me off quicker.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:08 PM

So sorry about that. I was planning on posting a referral when we got back from Costa Rica last years, but life got busy.

Trying to play catch up because we REALLY LOVED our experience at The Dragonfly Inn. Please don't let my over-exuberance get in the way of a good referral.

p.s. Lesson learned!!!