Where to stay in PV?

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:10 PM
Jill

Where to stay in PV?

Wow, after reading all of the advice here, I'm now wondering where to stay in Puerta Vallarta. I thought I was all set to stay at the Westin, but now the Marriott is looking pretty interesting. Are they far away from each other? We are interested in using the golf course, so we need to be close to there. Also, I've read there are too many palm trees at the Westin? Do they block out the sun at the pool? Did anyone try the Sunday brunch there? Again, thanks for all of the help.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:03 PM
marianne

Camino Real is wonderful--you will find that the area near the Westin and Marriot is man made beach not real beach and that many of the stores have moved out of the shopping complex there

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:21 PM
Margaret

Personally, I recommend the Marriott. The Westin just doesn't have the real feel of PV to me. I also would prefer the Marina (Westin & Marriot) over the Camino Real. Camino Real is just too far away from town and does not have the alternative restaurants, shopping etc that the Marina area has. You must also be sure to visit the town, since you are missing the whole essence of PV not to experience the town and it's people.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
JRinPV

In fact the Camino Real is closer to town than the either the Westine or Marriot.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:16 PM
loangalsal

The marina is interesting, but I certainly would choose to stay at the Camino over the other hotels. The Westin is very beautiful, but yes there are too many palm trees at the pool and it is not very "mexican" in style. The beach is far superior at the Camino as well. Camino is a short cab or bus ride to town, and JR is right, closer to downtown than the Marina. I absolutely agree with Margaret that you should experience the town of PV and not just your resort. I am counting the days till my next trip there!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Clarisa

I stay much more modest places in the south side of downtown, but do spend alot of time in PV so will throw in my opinion.

The (Casa Magna) Marriott is like a normal resort hotel anywhere in the world - with a bit of Mexican decor. The beach is manmade and skinny out behind. The pool area is huge and lovely. The restaurants (relatively) expensive. The staff gets the job done. The Marina is a development, again like you might find in Florida or any ocean vacation destination.

I'd vote for Camino Real and take a taxi when you want to get to a golf course back the other side of the Bay. And as others mentioned above, please do spend some time in the town itself, for the friendly local people and festive atmosphere. When you get away from the resort and tourist areas, it is a "regular" Mexican town going about life.