Search

Where to stay in Cabo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Cabo?

4 single gals looking for a good place to stay in Cabo San Lucas, but confused if we should stay closer to downtown (where all the nightlife is) or in the 'corridor' (where the nicer hotels are). Are cabs that expensive? ARe better off renting a car? Is it safe to drive there?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM

if I were you i would stay closer to downtown, then you can walk to town. It's usually only a 10-15 min walk depending on where you stay. i don't know how much a cab is. We've rented a car and used it only to get from the airport and to drive to Todos Santos once. For us it wasn't worth it. When do you plan on going?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I think we're planning on going near the end of June. Anyone know how Villa La Estancia, Pueblo Bonito Rose Resort, or Villa Del Palmar are?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear shraddha1:

Estancia, Villa del Palmar & any of the PB resorts are very nice. I have stayed at PB Blanco & Sunset Beach. Blanco & Rose are close to the action. Sunset Beach is a ways out. You can't go wrong with any of these places.

my
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I agree with MichelleY's hotel comments (have been to Cabo many times).

Some other things you asked ...

<b>Are cabs that expensive (if staying in corridor)?<b>

Been a couple of years since I took a cab, but to, say, the Westin (which is closer to San Jose) it used to be $15-18 for a cab to Cabo, split by how many people could fit in. Many of the corridor resorts have hourly shuttles that run into Cabo, especially at night, which are usually cheaper.

<b>ARe better off renting a car?</b>

I would get a car if planning on driving much out of the immediate area, say to Todos Santos or East Cape or La Paz, but it sounds like you're looking for the Cabo nightlife so probably just rent one for a daytrip. National has very good rates. You certainly don't need a car if staying close to Cabo.

<b>Is it safe to drive there?</b>

No problem in the daytime, just drive slowly and defensively ... unfortunately at night, especially on the corridor road, there's a lot of speeding and too many people driving after drinking, so more of a hassle. At least three times while we were in Cabo we saw nasty wrecks on the corridor road.

If hitting the bars personally I'd take a cab back to the hotel.

For what you are describing I'd guess one of the Playa Medano hotels like the Pueblo Bonitos would be a perfect fit as they are on an active swimmable beach with many activities and close enough to walk to downtown, though many walk it one way and take a cab coming home late.

Have a good time.

Bill

</b></b>
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM

So almost a year ago today, myself and two of my girlfriends, were winding up our 2 month trip of Baja and a little bit of the mainland Mexico. Needless to say, we stayed in our share of hotels, some even worse than the tent that we brought along with us. Anyways, while in Cabo San Lucas, we stayed in 3 different places. The first, I really can't remember what it was called, but it was really scraping the bottom of the barrel (we hadn't booked a place to stay ahead, therefor we were left with this moldy hole-in-the-wall, where the only light in the room at night came from the bedside lamp because all the other lightbulbs were missing, and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the guy working there, smoking meth out of all of them. I'm not even exaggerating, for this I witnessed). Okay back on track now...we also stayed a night in one of the condos called Marina del Sol http://www.marinasolresort.com/ While beautiful, and full of your everyday luxuries like you would have at home, it was way to pricey, but I suppose you would expect that when renting a condo. It was also kind of away from the central location of Cabo. Though it was pretty close to Billygan's. So this brings me to my favorite and the place we kept coming back to in Cabo. Mar de Cortez http://www.mardecortez.com/open.html Though not as flashy as I'm sure some of the places in Cabo are, it had everything you needed in the rooms. It was very clean, the staff were friendly, the other guests were down to earth, and it was within walking distance to all the nightlife, marina, mall, good restaurants, etc... Rates were very reasonable, especially when split into 4 in your case. Just try to avoid getting a room on the ground level.

The corridor...as nice as some of the places along there looked, I figure that they are way too out of the way. Say, if you are out and you wanna run back to your room and grab a sweater for the evening, not really that easy when your hotel is in the boonies.

Cabs were generally not that expensive. You can easilly barter with the drivers, and being 4 single gals, well, I recommend using that to your advantage.

As to driving while down there, we did a little bit. It was for the most part safe, though when driving through the Baja on their one main highway, we came upon a lineup of cars, at least a few miles long in each direction. There was a semi flipped on it's side on a bridge that had hit another car head on. We waited for hours before the site was cleaned up and traffic was able to commence. We also came upon cattle in the road a few time. Sad looking creatures compared to the fattened up sort we see here at home. All in all, driving was kind of half the fun, but I wouldn't want to have a car when in places like Cabo San Lucas, for parking seemed to be a hassle, and some of the roads very narrow, turning them into one-ways. All in all, I would probably recommend to stick to cabs. With the total cost beind divided up by 4, it will end up being very reasonable, and there will be no getting lost.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM

<b>So this brings me to my favorite and the place we kept coming back to in Cabo. Mar de Cortez</b>

Just my 2 pesos worth ... the Mar de Cortez is the best bargain hotel in Cabo and I've stayed there three times over the years, paying as little as $33/night/dbl ... but it's not in the same class as the hotels Shraddha1 mentions looking at.

It's also not on the beach, it's not even on the marina, so a bit of a chore to get to the water, if the beach is important to you. This is what keeps a lot of people away.

But it's about 2 blocks from Cabo Wabo and Giggling Marlin (two of the better nightspots) ... and I always recommend it to people looking for a bargain hotel in Cabo.

Bill
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I am a timeshare owner at VDP and enjoy it. It is about a 10 minute walk from downtown. There are a lot of activities going on~the Beach Party is one of the most fun. The only time we have rented cars was to take road trips. Cabs to San Jose can be a bit pricy, but I believe it's about $8 USD for 4 people into town. There is also a bus that goes into town for about 10 pesos, but I always had trouble figuring out it's schedule....