where to go in South America???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my two week vacation coming up at the end of April and STILL can't decide where to go!!
I'm a flight attendant, and can basically go wherever I want, which is just making the decision that much more difficult. A friend of mine says I absolutely must go to Brazil, however I will be traveling by myself and would prefer a Spanish-speaking country to avoid communication issues.
Would love to go to Macchu Picchu, but I've heard from a Peruvian friend that the weather during April is quite miserable.
Should I go farther north?? south?? thinking Argentina (Buenos Aires), Chile, Venezuela, Ecuador....

I hear Santiago and Buenos Aires have a somewhat European feel and thought it would be interesting to see the Latin cultural spin on it.

I'm babbling, but there's just so much to think about. so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

also, how do South American hostels compare to hotels as far as price, safety, etc....? thanks
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Argentina, of course! varied, wonderful, you can choose among mountains, lakes, cold weather, hot weather, green pampas, waterfalls, Hill, Salt Flats, huge cities, small towns, european features, indian roots... everything!
No doubht, and do not miss Salta and the NW which is really amazing!
Flintstones
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Argentina, of course, Megan!!!

I suggest you read all about it here and in the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...Argentina.html

April is early fall in BA. You won't be sorry.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM

BsAs and Santiago!
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Argentina wins easily because of terrific exchange value plus it offers everything--cultural, museums, mountains, friendly people, great food and wonderful wines. Buenos Aires could easily take your two weeks, but you might also consider Iguazu Falls and Salta for a variety. The Ruines De Quilmes near Cayfata have samiliar history as Macchu Picchu. The Salta Region offers a totally different Argentina from BA with small villages, mountains, and unique colorations and shapes in the mountains.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM

I went to Machu Picchu in May and the weather was delightful. Went again in August and it poured all day long. But we still had a fantastic time....and the photos were mystical.

April is near the end of the rainy season, so you don't have to worry about it being dangerous. Just bring a rain jacket (I found an oversized one to be most useful as it kept my camera dry but easily accessible).

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM

bookmarking