Where to go in South America?

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in South America?

Hi,

I am new to the Latin America board but am a regular on the Europe forum. I know this is a very broad question, but I'm going to try anyway. I have never been to South America, but think I want my next trip to be there.

Where do I go? I am open to anything - ancient ruins (Macchu Picchu?), rain forest, Amazon river tours, beaches, wonderful cultures. I am athletic and am open to hiking, biking, kayaking or whatever, or touring around with a guide etc. I don't mind out of the way places or difficult itineraries, either.

I know everyone has favorite places and different opinions - that's what I want! Please give me some great ideas for a trip! I don't even know where to start to research such a trip (besides reading these boards or buying a book on all of South America). Thanks in advance! Karen
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
me

Hi Karen ,I'm going to Argentina soon for the first time.If you read the Argentina board you find lots of info.I think you can do everything you've listed there in Ar. I've only been to South America once(Venezuela),years ago & enjoyed it a lot, but Argentina sounds even better( by far) especially with the good exchange rate for USD and Euros .Just like you ,I've been to Europe (and everywhere else !)many many trips , so now -back to South America ! Good luck.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look!
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
RW

Kaudrey -- welcome to the Latin board! I was a regular on the Europe board until the past 6 months, while I planned my first trip to South America. I, also, was familiar with Europe but had questions about South America. I ended up going to Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. My opinion: absolutely stop by Rio as it is one of those rare places that is so unique. More beautiful than anywhere! Iguassu Falls is spectacular! I was disappointed with my stops in Uruguay and Buenos Aires (like Europe). I think southern Argentina would be cool, and Macchu Picchu, of course, which I haven't done. Let us know what you decide to do!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:33 AM

If you like hiking etc and ecological destinations, your perfect destination is Brasil. Consult www.freeway-adventures.com.br for information on several fine destinations. Last December me and my wife went to "Chapada Diamantina". Next April we are going to "Jalapão". Other proposed destinations which we have already visited: "Fernando de Noronha", "Morro de São Paulo", "Lençóis Maranhenses", "Delta das Américas",and "Jericoacoara". Some destinations are over the coast, others are in the outback of Brasil. Feel free to ask for more information and help.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I knew this would happen - it all sounds so great - I think I WILL end up researching everywhere in order to decide! I'll have to plan on multiple trips...

Karen
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Kaudrey,
Argentina would be an excellent choice. The currency is devalued and now it´s a real bargain. But this is not the reason why I suggest you visit Argentina: the country is beautiful and it has so much to see and do!!
BA: complex city, with cool nightlife and very interesting things to do: San Telmo antiques market, Mataderos fair, tango, countryside....
Iguazu Falls: located in the province of Misiones, the falls are breathtaking.
Salta, Jujuy, both in the north and then the Patagonia, in the south.. there is so much to describe but even if I spent whole days telling you about it, it wouldn´t be enough... you need to come and see it by yourself. You can go to the official tourism website: www.turismo.gov.ar