Search

Where is the autopista?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the autopista?

Where is the autopista or Circumvalación that is mentioned in this article (second article down)?

http://www.amcostarica.com/112006.htm

I'd like to try and avoid it while we're driving in and out of San Jose. Any other areas we ought to be concerned about with our rental car? My husband also said we should bring a "club"--the type of thing that goes on the steering wheel to prevent theft--is that going to far? I got really paranoid last night about even going to CR because of all the reports of crime against tourists, but with the light of day, I'm still doing my planning!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM

The autopista mentioned is the highway between the airport and San Jose. The interchange with the Circunvalacion (the article spells it wrong) is just before you enter the built-up area of city, by the San Jose Palacio Hotel.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Lorrie, I forget your itinerary. Are you driving back and forth between SJO and the airport? You know the airport is west of town about 15-20 minutes.

Most of the time that we rent with Tricolor, they provide a device that attaches to the stick shift and prevents theft. You could check about that in advance. Operates with a key.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac--we're going to Villa Lapas (I think--keep changing my mind), Monteverde, Arenal, Selva Verde & Peace Lodge. Thinking of changing Villa Lapas to Bosque de Paz. Are these areas considered safe to drive?
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Heavens, yes. At least they've always seemed safe to us. It's hard to reconcile the A.M. Costa Rica report with our experiences. We just zip around from here to there with nary a care in the world, having a great time, not that we're naive about the possibilities. Events like the ones described in the article hardly even seem possible, yet apparently they happen. It makes me sad to think about it.

I see now your concern about driving toward San Jose. Not sure of the order of your travel, but you can certainly get from Arenal or Peace Lodge to Selva Verde and vice versa without going through San Jose. I'd do that--it's a very nice drive.
Do you have a good map? I really believe it helps to familiarize yourself as much as possible ahead of time. The Berndston & Berndston from Barnes & Noble is excellent. Laminated, it holds up very well.

Light of day works wonders, doesn't it?
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM

I've been to CR twice and we are returning in February. Our first trip was 14 years ago - we almost didn't go because of the "crime" reports. We've never beeen victims of any crimes in CR nor have we witnessed any.

On the other hand, I had the passenger window of my car smashed out last Saturday so someone could steal my Ipod. This happened outside my office in an upscale neighborhood in broad daylight in the good ole US of A.

Go to CR, have an Imperial and enjoy yourself - it is a fantastic place full of incredibly nice people!

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Excellent perspective--thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I am in Costa Rica now and over the past 15+ years I have been here about 40 times and have really never had any problems. I agree with wayfarer for the most part. However a few months back I was talking to a Tico friend and he and a collegue - also Tico were carjacked on the autopista and had their money and other stuff like a laptop taken. It really shook him up. So it happens sometimes and not only to tourists.
But things could happen anywhere.

Its not going to stop me from coming to Costa Rica. Nor is the fact that two people in my Spanish class in Buenos Aires Argentina last month were robbed -one by a taxi driver and another on a busy street not that late at night going to stop me from going to Argentina. However, it sort of makes it hit hme when you hear the stories from people you actually know.
Advice from someone I know who is now in Argentina - don't be scared, be prudent.

Good luck and Pura vida
raquel