CR trip w/ hotel vouchers-Hotels near Airport?

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CR trip w/ hotel vouchers-Hotels near Airport?

My fiance and I are headed to CR on Nov. 11. We will arrive at SJO at 12:30 PM Our tour is a fly/drive pkg. which includes a Daihatsu Terios and "Flexi-Vouchers" for hotels (61 available). I am already having second thoughts about the voucher package. Has anyone done CR this way?

I would like to drive from SJO to La Tigra the first day and stay at the Valle Escondido Lodge. ( On the way to La Fortuna and/or Arenal) Any info on this hotel?

If we cannot book into the hotel in La Tigra, I am reluctant to try to make it all the way to La Fortuna before dark and we will probably have to stay in the San Jose area the first afternoon/evening. The problem there is that we have only 6 hotels available to us in the SJ area. We'd prefer to stay nearer the airport ( i.e North of the City) for a fast getaway the next morning to Arenal. These are the hotels that we can choose from in the SJ area: Quality Centro Colon, Apartotel El Sesteo, BW Irazu', Los Yoses City Inn, Presidente, & Residencias del Golf. I would appreciate any help in choosing amongst these! BTW, after we leave the central valley the hotel choice seems somewhat better.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hi
If you arrive at 12:30PM there is no reason why youcannot make it to La Fortuna later that afternoon.
Sorry do not know the hotel.
It gets dark at 5:40PM, but your are already on the right side of San Jose to get to the Arenal Volcano.
Really if you get your vehicle at the airport,you should have no trouble reaching Fortuna and/or Arenal before dark
hope this helps.
Percy
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 12:55 PM

It is only about 2 1/2-3hrs to Arenal. I would just go for it rather than stay in the city. You will have to get on the road anyway so you might as well go where you will be able to relax more. Driving around the Arenal area is much easier than the city so IMHO I would prefer to get out and away asap. You also have to go that way anyway. Instead of stopping in San Ramon just make the turn and head straight up to Fortuna.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both Suzie2 and Percy. I have been to CR once, about ten years ago, and at that time my companion and I bicycled from Alajuela to La Fortuna, so I wasn't sure of the travel time in a rental car. But, back to those hotels "cerca de San Jose". Of those listed does anyone have a preference? We will still probably need to stay in the San Jose vicinity the last night in CR. (our return flight is at 1:48 PM from SJO) but we will probably be coming towards Alajuela from the south.

We have two hotels listed near San Gerardo de Dota: Trogon Lodge and Savegre Lodge. Is anyone familiar with either of those? And would it be possible to leave from that area in the morning and make our flight out at 1:48 PM?
Thanks again for the replies!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:43 PM

I stayed at Savegre a couple of years ago. San Gerardo de Dota is an area that decends down into a beautiful valley just off the Pan Am Hwy. Quetzals year round so I hear. We were there in Feb. Not much down there but it is very peaceful. There is a horseback ride that takes you part way to a waterfall and then you hike the rest of the way. It can be quite cool. We wore light fleece a good bit of the time. The food was good costa rican style cooking. We found that many of the guests were Costa Rican. The rooms were not terribly special but they were clean, comfortable and had heaters. Trogon is about the only other place except for a guide named Walter's new place down towards the end of the road.
The two places are about equal quality from what I understand.
Don't know anything about the other places.