Reload this Page >

Where are the best places in Central America to see the birds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 03:37 AM
TJ

We went to watch the birds to Belize several times but now are ready for something new. We heard about great birding in Costa Rica. But specifically where and how to get there from the airport in San Jose? Also Honduras but there is almost no information on this bord about accommodation or exceptional places for birdwatching. How about Guatemala? <BR>Thank you for any information and suggestions.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 06:31 AM
lisa

I highly recommend the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. We saw scarlet macaws, toucans, and all sorts of other great wildlife. There are two Costa Rican airlines that fly there from San Jose: Sansa and Travelair (it is a short flight -- less than an hour -- and very inexpensive; driving is prohibitive because the roads are very bad and it takes too long). We stayed at Lapa Rios (www.laparios.com) -- it is pricey but worth it because of the wonderful local guides, food, setting, views, and accommodations. There are other places to stay if you don't want to go that high-end though. I have heard others recommend Monteverde also (especially to see the resplendent quetzal) but we did not go there. If you do a search on this forum you will find lots more information on these places.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Scott Gauvin

Corcovado is a great place and you may also look into Monteverde. If your looking for an out of the way place that isn't as famous as Corcovado or Monteverde for tourists check out a place called Rara Avis (www.rara-avis.com). You could also check out www.worldwanderlust.com. There are some sample itineraries for Naturalists that are great for birdwatchers.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Luna Nueva

Hi, <BR> <BR>If you want to see quetzals in Costa Rica, you should go either to San Gerardo de Dota or to Monteverde. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR>Luna Nueva <BR> <BR>Visit http://www.costaricafriends.com

Old May 26th, 2012, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Costa rica is small country But there you can find large numbers of bird species. If you want learn more then you.
visit http://beachcomberpete.com/costa_rica/
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:32 AM
RAC

We've been all over Costa Rica, and the best birding we saw was in the Sarapiqui area (Carara/Tarcoles and Osa very good as well).

Supposedly the best is in Panama on the Pipeline Road.

Tikal is also a very, very good place to bird.
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:46 AM

The jungle around Tikal in northern Guatemala is great for birds, especially if you hire a great guide; consider this one:
www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

In that area this nature park is pretty awesome:
www.ixpanpajul.com

Another area to check out (though I've only visited for an afternoon myself) is Corazón del Bosque near Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. I've noticed that place crops up on birding/Guatemala websites.
http://www.corazondelbosque.com/Portal/Home.aspx

Check out this link, too:
http://www.ecoquetzal.org/

Keep us posted!
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM

I doubt he will keep you posted as the original question was asked over <u>11 years ago</u>.

Other people will find the info and links useful though.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Darn - I don't usually fall for that!
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Visiting this forum for only the second or third time as we are thinking of a Costa Rica trip next year.

Have found lots to follow up on.

One question though; why would an American lodge be named after an Asian tree: Ylang Ylang?