Search

First time in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Costa Rica

We are traveling to Costa Rica in November and looking for a place to retire. A friend directed me to Grecia and Zarcero as a place as good retirement towns. We will make more than one trip, for sure, before making any decisions but I'd like some one's take on these places compared to other towns. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM

They seem like nice places, but I've only visited as a tourist. If you're thinking of moving, you need to spend a significant amount of time in a place. Just so you know, you'll be there during one of the rainiest months. Could be a good thing -- you'll know if you can handle the rainy season!
Sandy
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Those are both nice towns; Grecia is home to many woodworkers and carvers of artisan items. Zarcero is on the way to Arenal from San Jose and is famous for its topiary. I would think of staying at least at least a few nights in each place to get a feel for them. There are a lot of nice places in CR to check out; be sure to pick up a guide book before you go. I prefer Lonely Planet but there are many others. Good luck and have fun! I envy you.....
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. I have some guide books but personal experiences are more meaningful.
Tom
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Zarcero is one of my favorite towns in Costa Rica, but its access to the rest of the country isn't as good. The road to get there is a bit on the twisty, windy side. It also gets very chilly and misty there. It's at quite a high elevation. You'd never guess you were in the tropics.

Grecia is far enough out from San Jose to be a very pleasant place to visit and live, but is just off the main highway. You just have better access to the rest of the country from there.

Another possiblity is Atenas, similarly situated as Grecia and it has quite a large retiree population.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Atenas, it's just what I have been looking for. And thanks for the info on flight information. This site has really been better than anything I have tried to date!