Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Whats the deal with the current weather in playa? We leave sat!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, current weather channel info looks terrible for the next week in playa! AHHHHHHHHHHH I know it is rainy season but clouds and rain for next 10 days? say it aint so miguel!!!! Anyone just get back that can put some sunshine in this parrotheads forecast? Maybe(hopefully?) weather channel is wrong? Some help here needed! Worried in st louis....
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I am leaving for Playa in a week - would love to see some replys since I have been a little worried about the weather myself....
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:12 AM

I sure wish I could tell you it won't rain because its in peak of the rainy and hurricane season right now. The weather channel is not very promising, as it looks like several tropical storms are developing as I post this. However, this does not mean that the area will get any rain. I would imagine you could some rain everyday. But they are usually showers that don't last that long. If a depression should set in, it could be literally days of nothing but rain. We were there last Sept. when Isadore brushed the coast. We had more high winds than rain. I would say go, don't worry -you will still lots of fun.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:07 AM

If I had a quarter for every time I looked at the weather forecast prior to a Caribbean or Mexican vacation and it looked iffy, I could fund my next vacation! And every vacation we ended up having fantastic weather (we've been lucky). In fact, I always say that a cloudy forecast for the Caribbean is the same as a sunny one for the U.S. and that a cloudy forecast actually means that the sun is out but there are big fluffy clouds in the sky! Don't worry, go and have a good time.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM
me

Just came back last week ,got the similar weather reports..but we only had ONE pouring during the day & lasted about 10 minutes , stayed under the hut and our son(4 years old ) found 2 hermit crabs (during that rain)so it was actually a great fun time for us ,the sun came back out and we were back in bussiness like it never happened !The water was warm enough to swim at nights...The rest of the week ,nice everyday, sunny , couple days with occasionally clouds rolled in for minutes but got blown away pretty quick...Have fun everyone.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Last October 31st I went for a week Weather channel said it was going to rain evry day for the next 5 days, I was really not happy when we landed and it was raining, The bellhop asked if he could do anything for us and I asked if he could guarantee us some sunshine he looked at his book and sadly said Sorry!!!! When we woke up the next morning I couldn't believe it Sunshine and it was perfect weather all week. So don't be as discouraged as I was. It was the only time I went to Cancun and
had perfect weather. Oh by the way of course I prayed that God would give my husband who really needed a vacation a really memorable one!!!! He really answered my prayers. Good Luck!!! Please let me know how you made out when you get back.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Before leaving for PDC/Cancun/IM/Cozumel for three weeks earlier this year, I looked at the forecast the morning we left and the 10 day forecast was for solid rain!

Well, I was a little nervous, but this has happened to me before too.

For the entire time we were there, it did not rain even one single day!

Don't worry and have a great time!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys, you really made us feel better!! We leave in bout 12 hours and we were very worried but you guys REALLY gave us some spirits!!! We too have been blessed with great weather while in caribbean so we just thought this trip we were goin to get it!! Rain that is. So, i will take forecast with grain of salt and go have some coronas in the sun!! Thanks all- have a great holiday weekend!! John in st louis(on his way to margaritaville!!!)
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM

To hopefully calm your nerves.
I currently live in Florida. The weather channel calls for clouds and rain every day. I'd say it only rains 60% of those days. Of the days it does rain, 80% of the days you only see rain for an hour or two (max). Today it rained lightly for 10 minutes.
This time of year you are bound to get rain but it likely won't rain all day. You may have one full day of rain and hopefully this current hurricane will veer north as is expected!
Megg