What to pack for rain in Cancun?

Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

What to pack for rain in Cancun?

I see in the forecast it will be raining in the Yucatan next week. What do I pack for my family? Raincoats (like I would in Costa Rica) or don't bother? If we need an umbrella I will just get one there.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM

Two years ago we were in Cancun. Each one of us had an umbrella.
We signed up and paid or a tour, which was pricey.
And lo and behold, on the day of the tour, it began raining steadily. Did not want to lose our money, so decided to go even though it was raining non-stop and of course we were going to see the ruins etc.---all outside with no shelter anywhere.
So, on reaching the destination, the entire tour group had to run into a tiny gift shop and everyone bought a heavy poncho. Even then our shoes, legs, feet were very drenched.
The sites were gorgeous, the history fantastic, but the rain made the whole trip bad.
So, my advice is to be prepared, take raincoats or ponchos etc. since rain can be heavy. This way you dont have to buy last minute of whatever is available in whatever size.
If you buy them at home, take on trip and then dont use them I am guessing you can always return. But I have learned my lesson and will be always prepared for such trips,
Have a great trip. We had a wonderful time the food, drinks, history were all memorable.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We do have excellent light weight jackets we have for Costa Rica, I just wasn't sure if I should bring them to Mexico. Guess so!
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

I think rain is in the forecast every day for the Yucatan no matter what time of year! I wouldn't worry too much. A "normal" rain is a brief shower in the afternoon or more often late at night. Once in a while there are all day rains but in my 10+ years of travel down there, I've only been really rained out for a whole day once and that was in February.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM

Been here for the past two weeks and it's rained a couple of times at night and once for about a half hour in the day. It's been very dry. The forecast usually says the same thing.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

So colokid, you're thinking no raincoats? Or bring the raincoats and that way it won't rain? :0)
Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:31 AM

You can never tell but I've been coming down here for a long time and have yet to have days of rain. Once in a long while we'll have a day of rain but it doesn't happen enough lately. My plants are parched. Just looking at one of my little flowers and it needs to be watered again. Yesterday started out cloudy and I thought maybe we might get some rain but by noon the sun was out in full force and I ended up sitting under a palapa all day because it was so hot. Today...looking out the window this a.m.....sunny. The weather sites always give a percentage of possible rain but it's rarely accurate.

Search this Thread