Search

Riviera Maya on a rainy day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya on a rainy day

Hi, everybody! We're going to be in the Riviera Maya next week. I just found out on weather.com that it's going to rain for 4 of the 5 days we are there. Does anyone have any suggestions for a rainy day? We have two children, ages 4 and 2. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Odds are it really won't rain that much, if at all. I've quit looking at weather reports when heading to the tropics, it almost always predicts rain, and usually, it doesn't rain. Or if it does, short showers that don't interfere with activities.

If it does rain, and you're close to Cancun, you could always head to one of the malls. Not my idea of where I want to be on vacation, but perhaps better than being in a hotel room with young kids who have cabin fever.

You'll have fun whatever the weather might bring, but I really do recommend to just quit looking at the forecast....
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM

It ALWAYS says rain. But in fact, it rains for only 30 minutes, or so, each day.

If you are staying at a huge AI, take that as your opportunity to score some prime beach chairs when the masses run for cover.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:59 AM

As others have mentioned, a 'rainy day' in this part of the world is usually a few showers, typically in mid to late afternoon. We did run into one truly rainy day, which we spent touring the caves at Aktun Chen. The reception area has small monkeys running about that your kids will love. I forget exactly where it is, somewhere just south of Playa, way out on a dirt road.You should be able to get some info on it on the web.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM

We had a similar forecast when we went back in December. As alrady mentioned, the rain most likely isn't a bug problem, sjus a quick shower. There was one day with on and off rain during most of the day. It was still warm, so we still went in the pool and ocean.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM

sorry for my sloppy typing....'bug problem, sjus a quick...' should read 'big problem, just a quick...'.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM

unfortunately, it does rain there sometimes for a full 5 days. My son and friends went last May and had rain most of the time, it was pretty disappointing.

My only suggestion is to stay at the nicest place you can afford so that your room is comfortable, and you have a good tv. Other than the nice mall in Cancun, and that is mostly outdoors, I can't think of any indoor attractions except restaurants. If you're staying at an all inclusive family resort, there may be activities.