Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Safe to travel to Playa del Carmen for the July 4th weekend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Playa del Carmen next week with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old. I am concerned about the swine flu only because of the kids. My wife is more concerned about the violence. Our hotel price includes a shuttle trip from airport to the hotel. My question is will the hotel shuttles have their name on it? How will we know we are getting on the right shuttle? Is it safe to venture out into the city or the tourist shopping area with the kids? Lookimg forward to the trip at the same time a bit nervous.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

We were in Playa during the height of the swine flu hysteria.There were no problems at all.The area is very safe and we felt absolutely comfortable in going into Playa in the evening. As far as finding your shuttle is concerned, our hotel driver held up a sign with our names on it. During our time in Playa, we saw many families with young children in strollers. The most important things to be careful about are the mosquitos,especially at dusk, the sun(lots of sunscreen-be in the shade) and water.Only use bottled water even for teeth brushing.We have been to Playa area many times and would recommend it highly.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM

I live in Playa del Carmen part time and part time in the States. I am here right now and have been here every 4-5 weeks this year. There are no problems here right now. I walk through Playacar every morning where most of the AI's are and things seem to be picking up with numbers of tourists. One of my neighbors got in yesterday and said her flight was full. My flight also was full a couple of weeks ago on the way down. Please, do come in to town and support those workers who are trying to keep their businesses going through this whole time. There are wonderful restaurants and places to just sit and people watch. On Thursday nights, north on 5th avenue which is the main pedestrian walkway through Playa del Carmen and north of Constituyentes which is a major cross stress, there is an art show that features many of the local artists,, some street actors and some folks on stilts. There is a fire show every night at the Blue Parrot but it's a little late in the evening for your little guys. Don't be afraid to talk to people - most speak english - and they will be happy to tell you all about town. Depends on how long you want to converse : ) I love this town and have lived here for 3 years. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Mucho Gracias for quelling my fear and thanks for the tips. We are looking forward to the trip and certainly plan to visit the local attractions. I am even learning some Spanish so that I can communicate with the locals outside the resort in case it's necessary. Couple of questions - How long is the drive from the airport (Cancun) to the hotels? In case of medical emergency, do they have adequate facilities in Playacar or do we have to go to Cancun?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:34 AM

It will take about 50 minutes to Playacar from the airport depending on whether you are making other stops at other resorts. There is a very good, new hospital in Playacar on the highway called Hospiten. Your concierge will know how to contact them. Hotels also have doctors available. I did need to go to the doctor last summer for a rash and went to one here in Playa del Carmen since it wasn't an emergency and was very pleased with my care and aftercare.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM

We also have Starbucks (several), Burger King, McDonalds if you really need that too. In Playacar, there is a nice selection of stores right across from the AI's for shopping also or just wandering around. I walked by there yesterday on my morning walk. If you want to come in to Playa del Carmen it's about a 15 minute walk or a 50 peso taxi ride.