Search

What to do in Mexico???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Mexico???

I'd like to go to Mexico but I want to stay away from places like Cancun, where all there is are college kids on summer break. What towns have 1) a good night life but not too Cancunish, 2) great shopping 3) cultural/historical sites in the city or nearby 4) walking distance to popular sites for that area. I think a town would be better than Mexico City, which is what I thought of in the first place.

Can someone give me a hint? I'll be going in November for a week (coming back home the day before Thanksgiving).
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:43 PM

I really like Peurto Vallarta for all of that. The city is beautiful and historical. There are wonderful restaurants and if you want to have a little fun the opportunity is there (bars, nightclubs, dancing) but it is much less than in Cancun. The beaches are not as nice as Cancun but great for walking!
Megg
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Is it a large city (not as big as Mexico City though), or a small quaint town near the ocean?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:47 PM

You need to look into Playa del Carmen. Its only 50 miles south of Cancun, but no college kids, the beaches are much nicer, great shopping and only miles from the Mayan Ruins and its much cheaper than going to Cancun. Please email me for more information.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:40 PM

If you don't really care about the beaches (and it sounds like you can take 'em or leave 'em), I'd suggest Guadalajara.

The city is big enough to be interesting, yet it's small enough to be friendly and easy to navigate. It's also full of EXCELLENT cultural attractions, including the magnificent Cabanas de la Cultura whose star attraction is a series of murals done by Jose Clemente Orozco -- one of modern art's most significant muralists. The city's central market, called Mercado Libertad, is the biggest public market in all of Latin America. It's an incredible place where anything and everything can be bought, and it's also a good place for a dirt-cheap lunch.

Guadalajara is often called the cradle of Mexican culture. It's the birthplace of mariachi music, and a quick day trip from the boutique tequila distilleries (if your tastes run that way). Plenty of great restaurants in town, not to mention parks and gardens and churches.

You mentioned shopping: the part of Guadalajara called Tlaqapaque is one of the BEST places to shop in Mexico for just about any kind of craft item you'd want, from iron sculptures to ceramics to glass or woodwork. Tlaquepaque is a true mecca for anyone who loves folk art (or just shopping).

I have a few photos of Guadalajara online, if you want to check 'em out. They're at:
http://www.tiogringo.com/guadalajara.html

I can also guarantee you that you won't see any college kids on summer break...

Hope this helps!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Tio, you're right. I can take or leave the beaches. But Guadalajara sounds interesting. I just don't want to be in a town so small that there are only a few stores around the place. Since I live in Hawaii I think I'll skip the beaches for this trip. I'll be in Mexico by myself and I want to take an evening stroll around a busy area so somewhere safe is definitely high on my list. I have looked at sites on Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen and they look like beautiful places to just kick back and relax. I'll keep them in mind. I want to do some sightseeing so I do want to be at a hotel that can direct me to some daily tours around and on the outskirts of where I'm staying.

Tio, I see you've done tremendous traveling. I just got the bug this year after going to Italy in June. Now I want to back but can't because I only have a week of vacation time left (how sad us working folks have to save up vacation time). So I decided to go to someplace closer instead, like Mexico. And now I'm in the process of doing of planning and researching the area. I have to brush up on my Spanish perche hablo solomente un po.

I will keep asking questions to pinpoint my city. Thanks all, I like hearing personal experiences. Different stories paint a fabulous picture.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Guadlajara or Oaxaca I would say are your best choices...
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:53 AM

I have been to both Cancun & P. Vallarta & Ixtapa I think P. Vallarta is the best place for a variety of things to do. If you like the beach they have it if you like shopping they have it if you like going on different tours they have so many. We all like to eat and they have such a variety of restaurants. Try it I am sure you'll like it.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Hi Cynde,
In response, PV is not a small village at all but it certainly isn't as big as Mexico city. Playa del Carmen is very touristy as it was rebuilt after a hurricane and does not really possess that Mexican flavour that other cities/towns do. From PV there are also some really neat little towns and villages that you can visit along the coast.
I have not been lucky enough to visit Guadalajara as of yet but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it! The other place would maybe be La Paz in the the Baja. I remember that city having an interesting flair and there are so many great towns and villages to visit throughout the Baja Penninsula!
Megg
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:42 AM

Look up Oaxaca...

I think it offers all you want. Otherwise Guadlajara...

From the sounds of it the Yucutan peninsula is not what you are after and neither is Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco on the west coast.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:17 PM

I think you would enjoy Oaxaca. A tremendous amount of culture, ruins, crafts, etc. to see. The crowd will have tapered off a little following el dia de los muertos. I think before thansgiving would be a good time to go.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oaxaca gets good reviews along the lines you are seeking.

I am a frequent traveler to Puerto Vallarta and love it there. Lovely city (pop. ~250,000) nice mix of local people and tourist business. You can walk, or take cheap local bus, to get around anywhere in town. Quaint (stay away from the high rise area, but in El Centro or Old Town instead). Nothing particularly historical though. It's a regular normal Mexican town once you get away from the tourist zone.

La Paz, Baja is a sleepy small town. Spent 2 weeks there solo. Certainly authentic as a working town but not much to do as a visitor (unless you want kayak, camping, fishing that kind of thing).

Guadalajara (I think is?) the 2nd largest city in Mexico, definitely not a tiny village. It is only about 4-5 hours bus from PV, these two together might make a nice trip.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I recommend Oaxaca. It offers everything you want, and it feels like a comfortable place to travel as a single woman. There are several major archaeological sites nearby (Monte Alban, Mitla), there are lots of good restaurants, markets and boutique type shops, handcrafts, weaving, jewelry, several stunning churches, several museums, lots of local history. You can walk around the central city easily.

Guadalajara is quite nice, but feels like a big city compared to Oaxaca.