Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What Is Your Favorite Travel Guide For The Yucatan & Why?

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

There are so many travel guides for the Yucatan at our Chapter's store.

What are your favorites & why?
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM

I'm interested in the answer to this question, too. We're going to be traveling in the Yucatan for the first time next April, and I'm working on the itinerary and looking at possibilities for things to see and places we may wish to go. I bought the Frommer's guide about a month ago, and while it's okay, I just checked the Fodor's 2010 out from the library, and I think it's much better. Will still have to have a look at Lonely Planet. Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM

I've pretty much quit buying travel guides. The information available on line is so much more up to date. Hotel and restaurant recommendations are out of date before the books are even published.

Last book I bought was the Lonely Planet guide to Colombia, since I knew next to nothing about the country and there really wasn't a lot of info on the net. Turns out the author of the book had not even set foot in Colombia. Sort of lost their credibility with me.

Posting on this site has gotten me lots of free Fodors books. I think they're about as good as you get, at least for mainstream destinations.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM

I've been disappointed in recent years with the Lonely Planet Guides - poorly updated so the copyright sounds new but the info is old.

We found the Moon Handbook for the Yucatán to be excellent so that's my recommendation.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist: I borrowed the Moon on the Yucatan from our local library. I thought it was pretty good until I had a look a the Rough Guide's Yucatan. I like the layout & info best, so far.
I found the Lonely Planet not to be of interest much interest. I have requests in for Foder's & Frommer's.

For the Mayan Riviera, "Playa del Carmen, Tulum, & The Riviera Maya" from Great Destinations is really a good guide. But, if, like me, you want explore more of the Yucatan, you need another guide.

I like travel guides. I usually buy at least one that I can highlight all the passages that interest me.

I will decide which guide to buy after reading all the ones mentioned above that I borrow from the library.

I am interested. Has anyone bought travel guides for their Kindles, etc.?
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 05:25 PM

I generally like Rough Guides, too, but have enjoyed Moon's cultural sections more lately and like the Moon's authors for the Yucatan guide. Also, the Moon has a wonderful new section, surprisingly detailed, of San Cristobal de las Casas (included, though not in the Yucatan) and I was heading there for 2 weeks also. The authors have a separate Chiapas book that was beyond excellent that came out last fall with the Moon Yucatan, so they're a year newer than the Rough Guide.

I'm sort of a guidebook junky myself, usually buying several during the planning phase of a trip. I'm a light packer and will often razor out the section I want to travel with, even though I felt I was committed a sin the 1st time I did it.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist: OMG! I think we were twins separated at birth! Obsessive travel guide junkies! My travel guides suffer endless abuse. I can't even discuss this on this forum as I am afraid they will kick me off. LMAO!!!

I want to visit San Cristobal. Perhaps, my next trip to Mexico.
It doesn't fit into our current itinerary.

I am currently reading the Let's Go guide that I found in the bottom of my library bag. It is really good for local info on archaeological sites, museums, etc. But, I lacks on accommodations & restaurants that I would be interested in as I am decades past being a student.
Old Nov 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM

I sometimes refer to guidebooks for maps and itinerary ideas in planning trips. Maybe for hotels. But I don't use them for restaurants, it's just impossible to keep them up to date, especially for places like resort towns in Mexico where things change more quickly than books can be updated. For that I use internet travel forums (Trip Advisor and here).

I don't know the Caribbean side of Mexico, but I do like both Moon Handbooks and Fodor's... they both do a good job with the Puerto Vallara coastline on the west coast side.