Which Aussie Travel Books?

Sep 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Which Aussie Travel Books?

Hey guys, Im new to this site as of last night. I been researching online and I am not sure what books to buy. Ebay has some great buys, but heres a list of what I had in mind. Feel free to give your approval or disaproval: Fodors, Frommers, DK Eyewitness$$, Lets Go Australia, Lonely Planet, Independent traveler.

So far IM plannin on getting the Fodors and Frommers. I like Lots of a visuals and key points I can read over in 4 mins. I dont want a novel with all words. Maybe more of a quick reference type book. Thanx for your help.
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Rahul,

I bought Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and Footprint. Borrowed Fodor's and Frommers from the library. This site was the best resource of all.

AndrewDavid
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:58 PM

Hi!
Although the DK Eyewitness is expensive, it is my favorite one. It is very informative, easy to find the information (little orange boxes with opening times, etc), fun walking tour maps, etc. I have 4 guide books about Oz (all gifts thankfully!) and this is the one I use most of the time. You should go to a bookstore and browse through them all to choose the one you prefer..
Sep 18th, 2004, 10:05 AM

If you like lots of pictures and little info bites, DK Eyewitness is the book for you. It doesn't contain all that much useful information otherwise. We bought their NZ guide as a sort of souvenir because of the nice pictures.

I borrowed Fodors, Frommer's, Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, and Let's Go from the library, and ended up buying the Frommer's guide, which dh and I found very helpful.

Lee Ann
Sep 20th, 2004, 03:38 AM

A suggestion is to check out the travel guides for an area you know well - maybe your city - and see if they tell you the sort of thing you would want to know. I love the Lonely Planet guides but they do tend to aim at the budget traveller. DK books are great for the colour photos but are heavy to carry. Fodors books are more upmarket. Frommers guides are quite good but don't have enough specific info in them.
Kay

Search this Thread