Westin Puerto Vallarta

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Westin Puerto Vallarta

Thinking about going to Puerto Vallarta for the first time and considering the Westin Regina. Could anyone who has been give me their thoughts? Looking for a luxury resort - I like staying at Ritz Carltons but there are none in PV. Would be interested in hearing comments on location, grounds, beach, rooms, and the Royal Beach Club level. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM
JBJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed at the Westin a few years ago and were very pleased. Like most chain Hotels in Mexico, the rooms are simple yet clean (we just had a standard room) but you don't spend much time there so that's not too important (at least to us). What we wanted (and felt like we got) was good pools and pool side service. The beaches on the Pacific side of Mexico are very rocky so while you can go down to the beach, don't expect anything like the Carribean side. The pool area at the Westin is very nice. Very tropical and serene. The service is great and the food was pretty good too. We ate these Mexican Pizza's everyday by the pool that were great. Anyway, we enjoyed it and would go back however I would check into the weather if you are planning to go this summer. We went in May and I remember some of the locals talking about how some of the area shuts down during the summer because it gets so hot and tourism is low. Also, hurricane season has just started and that can be somewhat unpredictable at this point. But if you do decide the go, I don't think you will be disappointed by this hotel. It's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it's nice. If you pick the right time to go, you can enjoy lower humdity (than the Carribean) and cool Pacific breezes. That's why we go back to the area every year! Cabo is definitely our favorite though---mainly because the development is much newer (although it is quickly turning into a Cancun). One last thing. If you go to PV in Feb. or Cabo in Jan. you will get to see the Whales migrating, and it is an amazing sight.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:58 AM

What time of the year are you thinking of going? I have never been to Westin Regina but I am sure you won't be disappointed. Did you know there is a Four Seasons Resort in Punta Mita which is further south than P. Vallarta. It all depends what you are looking for. I
would keep looking on this web site it is very informative.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually Punta Mita is about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I did take a look at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita and it looks quite nice but I would prefer to stay in Puerto Vallarta and, so far, the Westin seems to be the best option. I plan on going next June and I am trying to narrow my options -right now PV, Cancun, and Jamaica are in the running.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Beach there is not supposed to be great at all, but fine if you want a nice pool. See mixed reports on this place at Trip Advisor. I considered this place but am planning to stay at the Camino Real instead.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:32 AM

I stayed at Camino Real this past March I would not consider it luxury hotel. If you are thinking of Cancun then I would definitely Fiesta Grand Coral Beach. We had to cancel our trip to P. Vallarta in October due to the hurricane that hit there. It was the first one in 65years. We had to change our plans at the last minute and opt to go to Cancun we have been there before but this time we had perfect weather for a whole week. The Hotel was the best hotel my husband and I have ever been to. It was fabulous. Also there is a Ritz Carlton there also. These hotels are not cheap but what an experience. If you are looking for luxury in P. Vallarta then I would say the Westin looks pretty good on Various web sites although I have never been to it. Any more info please ask. Joann
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Joann I had narrowed my hotel choices to the Westin in PV, Ritz Carlton in Cancun and Ritz Carlton in Jamaica but I'll check out the Grand COral Beach (Im assuming that's a Fiesta Americana hotel).

I would like to stay at the Concierge level wherever I end up. I know what it is about at the Ritz Carlton but don't know what to expect at the Westin. If anyone has ever stayed at the Royal Beach Club at the Westin, any info would be appreciated (what's breakfast like, what kind of alcohol is served at the cocktail hour and what types of hors d'ouvres, if any.

I don't expect it to be as elaborate as the Ritz Carlton as it is significantly cheaper.

I'm really torn because while I have more interest in visiting PV than Cancun, the hotels in Cancun seem better (plus it is easier to get to).
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:33 AM

Tom I really do prefer P. Vallarta to Cancun there is so much more to offer. However remember this, The Ritz or Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach can not compare to any of the hotels in P. Vallarta however, like I have said before The Westin is a very very nice hotel. If you are looking for a nice beach and beautiful Caribbean water then Cancun is your place however if you are looking for a lot more to offer, than P. Vallarta is your place. I don't think you will be disappointed in the Westin. Although I haven't stayed there I would have if my friends worked there. I'm sure you will have a great time either place. Good Luck. Joann. If I can answer or help please let me know.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is only my impression from spending time in Puerto Vallarta, but it is really not a "luxury" kind of town. That's not to say there aren't some nice places there, but I think other towns/cities may have much more "practice" in doing high-end type of service and accomodations.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:42 PM

I haven't been to PV yet (1st trip in a few weeks), but was in Cancun last summer and really loved it. I read a lot of bad things about it, but if you stay in the middle area of the "7", Cancun is beautiful. If beach, and a view of incredibly electric blue water is important to you, you won't be disappointed! We stayed in a suite at the very new JW Marriott, and it was tremendous! The Ritz is closeby, on the same beach, and would be a great choice too. The Fiesta Americana is rated 5 stars by AAA, and all the reviews of it are great.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:35 PM
dp

Echoing Suze, PV is not known for luxury hotels. I think most people looking for luxury in PV rent one of the many fabulous villas overlooking the bay, where you can receive attentive service and superb pampering. While Cancun does have private homes available, it specializes in more of the hotel atmosphere, whether it's basic and inexpensive or "concierge" level and expensive. PV has every kind of accomodation available, from the high-end private villa or condo to the most basic of Mexican hotel. Each town has it's positives and negatives; you just have to decide what's most important to you.

For Butsey, I'm sorry that Kenna made you change your plans for PV last year. We arrived the day after the hurricane, never EVEN having contemplated changing our plans and had a fabulous time. The weather was great, the businesses (minus a few hotels) were open, or re-open within just a few days, and the town was alive with the vitality of the people getting about the process of re-claiming PV.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 06:52 AM

Unfortunately we were scheduled to stay at the Sheraton Hotel where we always go but that got hit hard and is still not opened yet. Didn't know what to expect but our trip to Cancun turned out great. Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach was the best and we had 7 Sunny Days. Not Bad at all.
Sher
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
mjz

Tom - We stayed at the Westin Regina in a Royal Beach Club level room last January. Our room had a great view of the mtns., pool area and ocean. The room was not super luxe, but very comfortable and clean. Access to the Club room for continental breakfast and happy hour was a nice perk. The various pools are surrounded by tons of palm trees and pool side service is fast, friendly and tasty. We enjoyed the spa as well. The hotel had an open airy feel and the decor was bright and had a "Mexican" atmosphere to it despite being an American chain (I really enjoy staying at Westin's all over the world...so nothing bad meant by American chain). Service was very good as were the hotel restaurants. I will definitely stay her again. The only negative is the time share sales reps who are set up in the hotel lobby. Just smile and say "no thanks" and they eventually leave you alone. Go and enjoy! PV is a wonderful place....of course, it's where I fell in love.
Matt