Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

We are at Los Lagos now!! Ziplining and horseback riding?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are at Los Lagos right now. Having a great time!! Can anyone recommend which zipline and horseback riding is best? Choices for ziplining are Ecoglide or the one here at Los Lagos. Also, horseback riding (we have a 6 year old too)...we´d like to go up to see the volcano as close as possible. Would it be better to take a taxi to AOL and do horseback riding there?

Thanks,
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 07:13 AM

How's the weather, Kippy?
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

It is sprinkling here at Los Lagos (Arenal). We went to MA on July 5 and 6. On July 5 and 6 evening, it rained, but during day it was great! Arrived at Los Lagos last night (Wed). We have driven a ton, but have truly enjoyed it. Wilson drove us on July 5, and Alex drove us yesterday. I am losing track of my days. We have a place to stay here at Los Lagos, but they don´t have any rooms on Friday night. Apparently, the Costa Ricans are on vacation too. So I just got a room for the 6 of us at Linda Vista Del Norte. Hope this is a good place. Hope we´ll see some Lava views from there. I´m here in Los Lagos reception area waiting on my fax confirmation from Linda Vista.

We have decided to do ziplining here at LL at 1pm if weather holds out. Having trouble deciding if there is a better place to go horseback riding. We would like to see Lava views, and they tell us here at Los Lagos that we might see a little bit of the lava. I´m wondering if there is a better place to go horseback riding so that we can see MORE of the lava views!

Thanks for all of your info. It has helped so much!!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Well, instead, my husband has been talking to Alex here at LL. LL is giving us a Villa for Friday night at a reduced rate. And they were able to cancel our reservation at Linda Vista.

If you guys know of best horseback riding for lava views(since we are not going to be staying at a "lava view" hotel), please let me know. Here at LL, the girl at reception desk says she does not know about any other horseback riding options other than here at LL.
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM

I don't know about the lava views and horseback riding, but we did the one at LL and really enjoyed it. They do take you up to a really nice viewpoint and you get a great view of the volcano, if it's clear out. Our daughter was only 6 at the time and both our kids had never been on horses (son was 8) and they did great. LL gave them great horses and even on the more difficult parts of the ride, the horses were great for them. I'd strongly recommend doing their ride. Besides, you'll be riding during the day so you wouldn't see much lava anyway.

As far as the zipline, I don't know about Ecoglide, but again, we did LL and the guide went tandem with our daughter and she had a blast. They have a lot of platforms, maybe 12? And we really enjoyed it. My son wanted to do them a second time!

Have fun!
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM

The horseback ride to La Fortuna waterfall is very nice...my kids loved it. I also highly recommend Sky Trek for ziplining. My 7 yr old had to go tandem with a guide but in some regards that made it easier as she trusted him and not us (her parents...lol). One of the lines at Sky Trek is 1/2 mile long! Enjoy
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM

I don't think Sky Trek will allow a 6 year old to zip line. Their website says 8 year old and up I believe and when we went,we were told there was no way they would make an exception for a 6 year old. We're going to try Sky Trek this trip though now that our kids are older!