Search

Los Lagos in Arenal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Lagos in Arenal

I know that the lava flow changes all the time. However, I do hope that I choose a place where there is a rewarding view. Can anyone on this board please give me any information on Los Lagos. Have heard much about Arenal Observatory and Tabacon Hot Springs. From the map it looks as if you have to go completely around Arenal to get to the Arenal Observatory Lodge from La Fortuna. Thanks again. I will look forward to learning more from you all. I am going now to a loggerhead turtle nest on the coast of NC. Bet the bugs are worse here now than in Costa Rica.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:43 PM

You are correct that the lava flows change from time to time. My wife and I stayed at Los Lagos in 2003, and we could see lava flows from the front door of our cabina. My daughter stayed there in October 2004 and she also got to see lava flows.
I happen to love Los Lagos for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is popular among Ticos. So you might even come into to contact with a Costa Rican family, something you are not likely to do at the other places you mentioned.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input. We will certainly look more into Los Lagos.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:04 AM

Also, remember that Los Lagos has an observation point on a hill that positions you directly across from the volcano, about 1/3 up from the base. We drove up there at night (among the horses feeding) and took some xlnt photos. Also went during the sunrise w/the same result.

Los Lagos has some new buildings/construction underway --- like most hotels there. Some rooms have a view from the bed, some do not. Some have a view from the porch, some do not.

-Remote controlled A/C and TV.
-Rise early for the best selections from the included buffet breakfast.
-Many types of animals on site.
-Close to everything you want/need. The area isn't so large that a taxi or self-driven auto can't reach nearly all things in 12 minutes.
-Pretty good value by comparison to other hotels, while many people rate several hotels (including LL) as equals.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Sounds great!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Both times I stayed at Volcano Lodge in Arenal we had direct views of the lava flows from our beds. Most recent trip was last summer. The hotel is really nice, nice pool and sulphur hot tub, great breakfast buffet included in room price. I think we paid $60 for two double beds, huge bathroom, little patio with comfy chairs looking at the lava. I recommend it highly. Tico owned.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM

You can find an updated map with the lava flow of Arenal Volcano here: http://www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM

I just returned from Los Lagos and the view of the volcano from my room was awesome! The lava flow, however, is on the opposite side. One clear night the hotel tour operator arranged for a van to take us around to that side to see the red spurts cascading down the mountainside. As fascinating as that was, I think I preferred the daytime views of the majestic Arenal from my balcony even without the lava flow. Check out this great map of the area:
www.arenal.net/arenal-costa-rica-map.htm
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:39 AM

Kerry,
I hope you appreciated your views! We were at Los Lagos for three days a couple of weeks ago, and we only got one small peek at the volcano. The rest of the time it was so cloudy that we had trouble believing there was any such thing as a volcano!