Great Snorkeling Trip for $3k-3500?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are looking for a place to go to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Trip time could be anytime from Oct. this year to Mar. 2011. Originally we were planning to go to Turneffe Island off Belize, but they raised their 2011 rates. Then we looked at Roatan, Honduras, but things I've read about the bugs/mosquitoes, electricity problems and airport conditions have me a little wary of that choice. So I"m posting on this forum and the Carribean forum asking for help in finding something for us. Here are our priorites:

- Off beach snorkeling that is comparable to Grand Cayman for variety in marine life
- Comfortable lodging with A/C, (TV or DVD and Wi-Fi a plus)
- Safe
- Typically clear and not rough waters
- Either ruins or some other type special attraction available (we were so looking forward to vising the Blue Hole if we'd stayed at the Turneffe island Resort!)
- Either good eating establishment near or, if a kitchenette is included, groceries near
- Total price (including air from Atlanta)) for 6 nights around $3000-3500

I originally posted this a while back with a budget of no more than $5000 but our finances have gotten tighter. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

I don't think Costa Rica is what you're looking for. Snorkeling is better in other places, and it doesn't have much in the way of ruins.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM

There is nothing as much like Grand Cayman as Grand Cayman. Why not go back? Try a private rental in one of the Sea Lodges at Cayman Kai. We paid $225 a night last February for two bedrooms, screened porches, large living/dining room, and complete kitchen, 100 or so feet from the water. No A/C needed. As much privacy as you might want since it's far from everything.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Akumal is a possibility. Read this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...re-to-stay.cfm
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you do choose Mexico you definitely want the Caribbean side - Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, Cozumel (not the Pacific coast) for both access to ruins and good snorkeling.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM

This has nothing to do with central america, but have you ever been to Bonaire?? You wont find better snorkeling from shore!! There are no ruins, but there are many fun things to do topside. We,however, spend most of our time underwater!! There are many wonderful, affordable places to stay, and many awesome resturants!!! You can also, coming from atlanta, fly directly to Bonaire( on saturdays!!) You can easily do it for 3000, even with a rental truck. You can email me directly if you want to know more. Bonaire is heaven on earth[email protected]
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Also look at Turneffe Flats and Blackbird, both on Turneffe atoll.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
KVR

Why don't you look at a different resort in Belize that is more to your budget.

We are looking at The Springs Resort & Spa in Costa Rica for a future trip. Don't know if it will fit your criteria, but the reosrt looks very nice.

http://www.thespringscostarica.com/
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM

You might want to check out St. John as well.

Agree that the whole Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, etc. area is worth a look. Tulum is beautiful.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

@Kinkazote - much as we loved GC we really want to go somewhere different in celebration of our anniversary & this probably being the last BIG vacation we'll have for a long, long time!

@MFNYC- Akumal was actually a destination we were considering before we went to GC; is it a safe area? how would the snorkeling compare to GC or Belize area?

@pigflo - Bonaire was also a considertion in 2007 before we settled on GC...I will email you!

@Katie_Valk-- I looked up these lodgings & if I read the rates correctly they were even more expensive than the Turneffe Island Resort...?

@KVR- thanks,w ill do!

@volcanogirl - we've considered St. John, but something keep pulling us back towards Belize or Mexico (maybe Bonaire, now!)
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Akumal is perfectly safe (as is PDC, Tulum and Coz), but I can't compare the snorkeling to GC or Belize.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM

We're going to Belize this year, and it seems like it has everything you're looking for if you can do it in your price range.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Volcanogirl, I think you'll enjoy Belize. We're going to Roatan this year. I hear the snorkeling / diving is awesome!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM

SiteC, Roatan is still on my to-do list. It looks amazing!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM

I went to Akumal a couple years ago and loved it -- I'd go back. Went snorkeling everyday off the beach. In Akumal bay, you'll snorkel with large sea turtles which is quite amazing. Akumal means "place of turtles". The calm clear Yal-Ku lagoon is a short walk from Akumal. There you'll find bright tropical fish, including the biggest parrot fish I've ever seen, sergeant majors, angels, etc etc. I'd say as good as or better than Grand Cayman - I haven't yet been to Belize.

I stayed at Hotel Akumal Caribe. They have little comfortable bungalows on the beach. Wake up, grab your gear, walk 30 feet and you're snorkeling -- or swinging in a hammock.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:51 AM
KVR

I agree with Akumal. We've been to the Riviera Maya several times, but never made it down that far from Playa del Carmen. It's on our list. I agree with you that Grand Cayman has the best snorkeling. Haven't been to Belize or Bonaire, but thought Grand Cayman had better snorkeling than St. John, Turks and Caicos and Curacao.

I started looking more into Costa Rica and it's really not a snorkeling destination spot like Belize. More for sightseeing, which really interested us more and we are looking at booking for next year instead of going back to our ususal spots.

Belize sounds like what your looking for.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
TC

You said "off beach snorkeling" -- the two places that come to mind for that are Cozumel and Roatan. I've been to both. I've also been to GC and Belize for comparison. The BEST beach snorkeling IMO is from West End beach in Roatan. We were there in February and I didn't find the bugs to be a problem. We took a house in the little compound of West Bay Village. We would wade into the water from the front of the house and snorkel for hours. It was amazing. Getting into town for dining was a bit tricky, requiring an "interesting" water taxi ride, but that might be better now. We were there a few years back. I also think there are more facilities on West End Beach now for dining. Others will confirm this if true.

http://www.westbayvillage.com/

We own a condo and go to Cozumel every winter for a month. The snorkeling from shore on the North end of the island is beautiful. The shallow reefs were hurt several years ago during hurricane Wilma, but have made a very nice comeback. I would suggest Playa Azul or Coral Princess as good locations for snorkeling.

www.coralprincess.com
www.playa-azul.com

From Cozumel you can easily take the ferry across to Playa del Carmen and tour the ruins at Tulum or you could fly to Chichen Itza directly from Cozumel for a day of touring. Its a beautiful flight over the jungle, you get there earlier than the bus tourists and you're home in time for happy hour.

Cozumel has a better infra structure than Roatan. You'll find wonderful, romantic restaurants, great grocery stores, good wine, etc.

You might consider a private condo. Good ones on the North end reef on Cozumel are NaHa, Las Brisas, or Pennisula. Residencia Reef is on the south end and quite far from town, but is very pretty.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM

Bonaire one of your best choices

Placencia perhaps www.cozy-corner.com

Glovers Reef but little far out

Utila www.utiladivecentre.com

Lots of places in the Bahamas/USVI

Provo in the Turks and Caicos

pretty good..

Dec-Mar for best CA snorkel to much run off in rainy season.

Happy Hunting
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:40 PM

forgot www.bibr.com pretty good too..
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM

Spooky Channel amazing in season

Spooky Channel is a natural channel formed by a land stream which flows into the sea. ( #5 on the picture above) On the surface, the crack narrows to 5-8 feet across. In this crack you will find a wide variety of sea fans, corals and sponges. The coral heads are home to octopus, crabs, lobster, shrimp, conch, parrotfish, grouper, squid, and cuttlefish. We have found 6 different types of eels in Spooky. You will also see turtles, spotted eagle rays, and schools of fish such as blue chromis & tangs . As you come through the channel and out on to the reef, everything suddenly opens, the water turns crystal clear and hundreds of Roatan's beautiful tropical fish come into view as the wall falls away beneath you. Others swim through the channel just under the overhanging ledges, explore the unique architecture of the channel & then turn west on the wall (#4)and explore the cracks that extend back into the reef. If you stay on the eastern side (#6) of the channel, you will swim towards Ben Jones Front Porch, another fabulous site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -