Water in San Miguel de Allende

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting San Miguel for the first time in March, where we have rented a casita for the month. It does not have a purified water system. We'd be grateful for any helpful information anyone can give about dealing with food preparation, cooking, dish washing, etc.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Have drinking water delivered in the big glass plastic/bottles. You can use tap water to wash dishes with. Just make sure all water has dried on everything before you use it. Buy some microdyne at a farmacia and put a couple of drops in water to to wash veggies etc. It's really not a big deal once you get used to it. The main rule is to make sure you don't ingest tap water, even a few drops that haven't dried on a plate or silverware.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:10 AM

I live in SMdA and would drink only purified or bottled water.
The Microdyne drops are very effective, but I wash fruits and veggies before "soaking".
I have a triple filtration and double purification system at home.
I have not had a problem using tap water for cooking, brushing teeth, and drinking from the additionally filtered refrig door dispenser.
We always have bottled water for guests: 3 19L plastic jugs are $45. + $5.(MXN) tip delivered. Simply call Santorini (or have the owners do it before your arrival) 152 0960.
M
PS Avoid street food in the warmer dry weather (Mar and esp Apr and May) as dust-bourne typhoid is not uncommon esp WNW near the "river".
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. It sounds a little daunting, but I guess since everyone does it, it can be done. Like you say, Dude, it's getting used to it that'll be tricky.
Soap and tap water for veggies, etc., and then microdyne and soaking, is that the drill, Mikemo? We've been warned about avoiding street food, but hadn't heard about typhoid--- Where is the "river?"
Our house is in 28 de abril in Colonia San Antonio.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM

No soap, just a vigorous shower in "my" water before soaking in the dilute Microdyne.
It's really not a hassle - many/most restaurants in the US do it.
The "river" is farther N of you.
I'm E on the "mountain".
M

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:47 AM

I've gotten in the habit of washing/soaking all of my fruits and veggies as soon as I get home from the market. (microdyne in the bottled water, not tap water). I let them air dry and then put away for storage. I find this is quicker and easier than starting preparation for each meal by soaking the vegetables.

We use bottled water for cooking, too, even if the water will be brought to a boil - for example, if you are cooking pasta. It takes some getting used to, but bottled water is cheap. To give you an idea, we average 3 20L jugs a week for two people.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Again, muchas gracias a todos.