I Just Knew that Coffee Tasted Funny

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting article about water on airliners.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...lines_water_dc
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:39 PM

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal by Nancy Keates about a year ago exposing this. Her article was partially based on the amateur research of a high school student, as I recall. Someone on this forum posted the original WSJ URL. They even found bug eggs in airplane water, which developed into maggots.

It's good to see that the EPA is thinking about whether to think about doing anything while they think it over, assuming that they have anything between their ears to do the thinking with.

The airlines had the same complaints about the high school student's research then as they have now about the EPA's. Not scientific!

The world is full of bull.

This is one more reason to avoid water, and maybe ice, on airplanes. Have juice or beer or something else out of a sealed container.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:42 PM

The flight attendants have known about this for years. I grilled one on one trip, and she admitted that they only drink bottled water because they are concerned that the water tanks were not cleaned frequently enough!

However, I do wonder about coffee or tee...if the water is boiled, the bacteria should be killed. Ice is not made on board, it's made on the ground. So that leave water to be avoided.

For long trips I carry my own 1.5 liter bottle, but keep it as a backup for when the plane runs out of bottled water. If there are no other good options ( I don't consider soft drinks an option, and I can't drink that much juice) and I've run out of my own water, I'll drink hot herbal tea or hot water with lemon.

But now I'm worried...the hot water is definitely steaming/ vaporizing when it comes out of the taps, but does that ensure that it has reached the boiling point?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM

It's a well known fact that airplane water, as well as any water ANYWHERE, should be approached with caution. On planes, especially, the only water that should touch your lips, including brushing your teeth, should be bottled water from a trust worthy source. Boiled water in tea or coffee is generally ok. Ask yourself, "how do they clean the holding tanks?" ????
EEEEWWWW! In hotels, fill the bathtub or sink and check out the color of the water. That's your first hint! Then bathe with caution and hit the local market for a few liters of the bottled stuff for your precious insides!!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 12:51 AM

And perhaps you'd like to tell us how many people HAVE imbibed of the water on airplanes in whatever form from brushing teeth to drinking coffee and have NOT suffered any ill effects? Or is that statistic "not scientific" (enough for you) either?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:47 AM

Lots of people notice that they get sick after airline travel, but they've been blaming the air quality.

Water for cofffee would not usually reach the boiling point at all in the drip-type makers, and even if boiled for tea would probably not be boiled for several minutes, which would be required to kill all bacteria.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:52 AM
ira

>The Environmental Protection Agency suggested passengers with compromised immune systems ...not wash with water from the tap or drink beverages that are brewed or mixed on flights, like coffee or tea. <

Isn't boiling water the approved method for destroying bacteria?

Can you make coffee or tea without boiling the water?

Is this another example of the Fear Mongers in action?

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Nothing like waking up from a fitful slumber in a tiny seat with a cramp in your neck and trying not to gag on Delta's awful coffee!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:07 AM

On at least a few recent flights that I recall, there's a sign saying not to drink the water in the bathroom. And the flight attendant pours water for passengers from a commercial bottle of water.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:11 AM

I've wondered about this ever since a 1999 flight from Mexico to Anchorage. I know, I know, you'll all say I got sick because I'd been in Mexico. But it was odd that during a 9 day trip to P.V. my husband and I ate and drank all the same things and stayed well. I had orange juice (with ice) on the return flight and became sick upon landing and was very sick for almost a week. Coffee I hadn't thought about. Anyone for cranberry juice and wine on a 10 hour flight to Europe?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM
HappyTravels

Is this the appropriate place to mention we killed a roach on an airliner this weekend, right back by the galley. Between services.

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:21 AM

For the paranoid among you, the EPA in the press release also noted that just 90% of municipal drinking-water systems meet EPA standards versus the airlines in this study at 87.4%.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:33 AM

>Isn't boiling water the approved method for destroying bacteria?

Yes, but it needs to be boiled for ~20 minutes before all bacteria dies. Also coffee and tea just need hot water, not necessarily boiling, like someone else also pointed out.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:37 AM

For anyone who is interested: scientists at the EPA have brains - better brains than most of us. They try to use their brains all the time. It's the elected representatives of the american people who prevent them doing so or confound their efforts to use their brains.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Based on personal observations at a rustic field kitchen in the desert, I can say that heating water without taking it to a rolling boil can lead to "bowel disasters" of the worst kind.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:54 AM

Degas, I'm glad you weren't on my TED flight night before last, or then you really wouldn't want to drink the coffee.

When I went to use the lav, I found a coffee bag (one of the mesh bags with pre-measured amount of coffee that goes into the coffee maker) that had been wedged into the inside hook -- presumably being used as an air-freshener to make the lav smell better. Here's hoping it later went into the trash and not back into the stock used to make coffee!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

ms_go, LOL - I knew they were in trouble and trying to save money, but making the coffee pouches do double duty is a little much, even for Delta!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 08:24 AM

When on flights, and order water, I always see them pouring it out of a bottle. When I order drinks other than water, I don't ask for ice. When in doubt, err on the side of caution.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:03 PM

Years ago, Rick Steves said he always asks for orange juice WITHOUT THE ICE. BUT HE NEVER TOLD US WHY!
Hmmm...the question remains WHAT did he know and WHEN did he know it.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM

Did anyone see that Dateline a couple of years ago that exposed some popular bottle water as coming from the Dallas, Texas municipal water source? Interesting. Anyway, the point is, even if it doesn't make you sick, its pretty disgusting. I always bring my own water (just not the dateline brand!), some little purell wipes and I never, ever touch my face before washing my hands throroughly with soap and water, or the purell stuff. Had a doctor in the family who was NEVER sick because he was constantly washing his hands well.