Search

Victoria House v. Portofino

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Ana

Victoria House v. Portofino

We are planning to honeymoon in San Pedro the week of April 1, 2003 in San Pedro. Any feedback or comments on these 2 places?<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Lan Sluder

Both are excellent places. The big difference is location: Portofino is 5 or 6 miles north of town on North Ambergris, requiring a boat or water taxi ride back and forth to town. Victoria House is about 2 miles south of town, and getting back and forth is by golf cart, taxi or the hotel shuttle.<BR><BR>Victoria House also has an in-ground pool, whereas swimming at Portofino is off the pier.<BR><BR>Both are popular with honeymooners.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Ana

Lan, <BR>Thanks so much for your feedback. Are the 2 different enought that it be worth splitting our stay b/n the 2 of them? And, do you have any thoughts about Turtle Inn in Placencia v. Robert's Grove (sp?)? Has Placencia recovered since the hurricane? I am wondering if it is worth visiting or whether we should stay up north in the cayes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Lan Sluder

Yes, it might be interesting to split time between the two places (though personally I don't like to move any more than I have to).<BR><BR>Turtle Inn in Placencia is still not open. The reopening is set for December. When I was last in Placencia (late June), most of the cabanas were still under construction. It looks like it will be very nice, though I've been told it will not be air-conditioned.<BR><BR>I stayed again at Robert's Grove and for me you just can't beat it. The new two-bedroom condo units are fantastic. Service is excellent, the restaurant is very good, there are two pools, nice beach area, free use of kayaks, small sailboats, tennis courts, etc. The hotel is opening a second restaurant on the lagoon side, at the marina (where some The Moorings boats will be docked). Robert's Grove also has a good dive operation.<BR><BR>Most of the peninsula has recovered from Iris, but to be candid Placencia village and environs still have a lot of work to do. There's still debris from the storm, and garbage on the beach in places. Things should be back to normal by April, but right now I have to say it's a little less than what some visitors may expect.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:05 AM
P

For lots of pictures of Portofino's go to http://portofinobelize.com/index.html and go through the Guest Book & Pictures page. It is a very good representation of the resort. We stayed there & liked it's location but can't do a comparison to VH which was sold out when we were originally going to book there. But we were happy things turned out the way they did. If you want quiet, go north. More people, dining options, go south.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:11 AM
tim

Stayed at Mata Chica in July. It is 1/2 mile south of Portofino so we walked and ate lunch there. The beach is nice but the rooms looked average. Mata Chica was a good bit nicer and seemed better run. Victoria House looked very nice and had a great pool but seemed like an older crowd. Mata Chica was younger, hipper, and seemed like you were on your own island sine you have to take a boat to town(Mata has free serivce 3-4 time per day). We loved it.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Peggy

Hmmm I thought the rooms at Mata Chica looked average & the ones on the beach are so exposed. The dinner there was great but about $120.00. I'd recommend the Treetop suites or honeymoon suite at Portofinos, not the beach cabana but that's just me. You can't really go wrong at any of the places. I think you a great month weatherwise to go! Enjoy.