Notices

Romance and fun...can't you have it all?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Cheri

Romance and fun...can't you have it all?

My boyfriend and I are looking for a really romantic week in Mexico and can't find a resort/hotel/B&B. We are adventurous but don't have a lot of money ($2000/total). I keep reading the chat and reviews...I'm so confused.
Beautiful beaches/not too overcrowded
Romantic settings (maybe couples only?)
great seafood
ruins
snorkeling
Any recommendations/links appreciated.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Brendan

Cheri,

My girlfriend and I are heading to P.V. this coming Thursday (one week from today!) and are staying at a reasonable All Inclusive (AI). A number of people on this board will tell you that AI's are not the true Mexico experience and they may be right - I respect everyone's opinion. For Donna and I, we were looking for a 5 day trip and didn't want to spend a ton since we're buying a house. We chose the Blue Bay Getaway in Puerto Vallarta. It's an adults only resort, all meals and drinks included and the cost, with air, from Phoenix for 5 days/4nights was under $800. I've been told the food is not the best feature of the hotel, but we're not that picky about things like that - cleanliness, safety and fun were on teh tops of our list. There are a number of very romantic hotels in P.V and we've also discussed going to Cabo some time next year. Summer months in Mexico will be cheaper but it's hotter and wetter - it's all about doing some research, asking questions like these, talking to travel agents and then take the plunge! Have fun and I'll probably post a trip report on the Blue Bay Getaway after the 24th. Cheers! BD

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:18 AM
PV

I go to Puerto Vallarta 1-2 each year. I'm not sure where you are flying from to be able to guess airline prices.

If you want to plan your own vacation (non resort, not all inclusive) think about the south part of town sometimes called Zona Romantica. Here's a couple sites to give you an idea what I mean:

www.casa-andrea.com (~$450US/wk)

www.todopv.com

PV is a very romantic town, but no ruins nearby. Friendly local people, tons of great restaurants and shops. Cobblestone streets, red tile roof, bouganvilla vines, mariachi bands at sunset, etc. Fun busy beach in town, beautiful less crowded beaches are a bus ride outside of town.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Nancy

Cheri,
Are you on the east or west coast?
If you work at SAS in NC where I live, we get really good fares to Cancun from RDU - about $330 in off season.
From Cancun, go 45 min to an hour south to the Playa Del Carmen area, and there are many wonderful resorts to choose from that will fit your budget.
The beach there is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen with blindingly white sand and turquoise water, and there are fantastic restaurants and fun bars and nightspots.
It definitely fits the bill for romance and fun.
Also check out locogringo.com for the best prices on accommodations.
You might also like Akumal if it's just the 2 of you looking for romance. Less crowded and touristy.
You can get a cool villa - Rondoval - with a pool on the beach in the off-season within your budget.
There are also some really neat condos right on the beach for only $75 to $100 per night.
Have fun wherever you decide to go

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Cheri - Author

thanks for all of the info...I'm going to look into all of it.
Still, there were few specificc hotel/resort names? If anyone has a specific one to recommend, clean/safe that meets our needs, please send. Thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Nancy

Cheri,
In Akumal - La Joya, Vista del Mar and The Reef Condos on beach
In Playa del Carmen - El Faro and Continental Plaza Playacar on beach
If you tell Kay at locogringo.com exactly what you are looking for, she will do a great job of steering you to the right property for you.