Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Have you stayed at Victoria House or Captian Morgan's within the past year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of going to Ambergris Caye in March 2011 and would like help with choosing a resort. We are a couple with a 20 year old son that want to swim, snorkel and enjoy a week of Belize. We are thinking either the Victoria House or Captain Morgans. We are concerned about Morgan's, as it seems to have a number of poor rating reviews in the past year. We are doing a Delta vacation, so not many options for hotels. Which is the cleanest facility? Best location? Best beach for swimming? All current info appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM

We've stayed at Victoria House and loved it. It's one of my favorite places we've ever stayed. Beautiful rooms, nice white sand beach, great food, lots of attention to detail, good pool. For snorkeling, I'd do a tour to Hol Chan. Most of the beaches in that area have sea grass growing near the shore. We've snorkeled all over the world, and Hol Chan was by far the best snorkeling we've ever done - huge rays, nurse sharks, beautiful tropical fish, huge sea turtles - really amazing. Victoria House is very clean; they were up raking the sand very early each morning.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM

I've never stayed at either, but, do spend a lot of time on Ambergris. Victoria House is beautiful. It's where I'd stay if I wanted to splurge. Also a nice location. A couple of miles from town, but all on a paved (cobblestone) road. Lots of different types of rooms. Restaurant on site.

Captain Morgan's is several miles north of town. If you want access to town, you'll probably be taking the water taxi. That puts you on someone else's schedule. Or, you can rent a golf cart. But, if it's been raining, the 'road' up north isn't very good.

I've had drinks at the pool bar at Captain Morgan's a few times. It seems like a nice place. I have friends who own time shares there and they love it. But, it's not in the same league as Victoria House.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:44 AM

You might want to stay on a different cay (not Ambergris) if beach swimming is important to you. Boats are a constant if there's a dock, and sea grass is ubiquitous. Because of the boats, snorkeling (and swimming out past docks) from the beach is not a safe option. You must take a boat everywhere to snorkel, and the prices for this can add up very quickly.
There are other places where you can swim and snorkel from the beach.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:47 AM

p.s. golf carts are ~70/day for a 4 seater
a boat trip to snorkel is a minimum of $40 per person for a few hours
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:29 AM

If you end up choosing Victoria House, they also have free bicycles that you can take into town; a taxi will cost you five bucks. Lots of good restaurant choices in town as well.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The only rooms we can choose from are either are casita or plantation (Victoria House) which seem very small for 3 people! We were told they would provide a roll away which does not sound very comfortable for a 6' 2" male. Otherwise the Victoria House sounds fine. Are there any beaches on Ambergris that are without puddle grass??
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

oops, an extra ARE
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM

We stayed in a Plantation Room; honestly I would not try to fit three people in one of those. The room was great, but just right and cozy for two. The area in front of the resort and around the dock have had the sea grass removed. It seems like a lot of the resorts do that. The waves break out on the reef so no wave action close to shore. Have you checked out Ramon's? People seem to think it has a nice beach.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:49 AM

Ramon's has a very nice swimmable beach. One of the few places you can walk in without much sea grass. They also have a small artificial reef off the end of their dock for snorkeling. We've even seen moray eels and nurse sharks there.

The beach is pretty nice at Banyan Bay as well. Although I haven't seen it in a few months and they were having issues with erosion.

I live a mile south of town when I'm on the island and people kayak out to the reef and snorkel.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!