Search

Vaccinations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccinations

I would like to hear feedback if vaccinations are common to travel in Panama (not a jungle expedition) in May. I have contacted doctors in USA who say it is really not necessary. Interestingly, we are traveling with people from Europe who are getting vaccaned for various diseases based on recomendation from doctors there. Any suggestions!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM

www.cdc.gov
M
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Hi,
I went to Costa Rica last year and didn't really even think about it (probably not my best move!). But when I came back and tried to give blood I got denied for a year because of Malaria risk. So, even in the US there is some concern. That being said, my husband got bit my bugs and no malaria. Have Fun!!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Went to Panama in January. Received yellow fever vaccine and malaria prophylaxis. we've already recevied vaccines for Hep A&B and typhoid. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Yellow fever is definitely overkill for Panama unless you are venturing into the Darien region for a while but then I would be more worried about the FARC and other nasty people, etc...
Typhoid isn't really necessary unless you will be going very rural for a while..

Make sure your tetanus is up to date, Hep A is a very good one to have (for everyone) and possibly Hep B.
Malaria has been on the rise - we even had our apartment checked a few weeks ago by a health inspector and we had to empty out some flower vases of their standing water (possible breeding grounds)... but Chloroquine is sufficient for 95% of Panama and is mild and easy to take - 2 week before and 4 weeks after... once a week...

We live here and don't take any malaria prophylaxis but that's because it't really not healthy to do long term..

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. Tetanus has been recomended and Hep A(from health Care Professionals. Everyone that I know that has been on the anti Malaria indicates that the side effects are rather nasty ( But I guess better than getting Malaria huh). I think I will take a good bug spray and take chaces on that one. WWW.CDC.org recomends Yellow fever shot for sure....I think I will get the Hep A and the yellow fever and the Tetanus...
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:19 AM

The anti-malarial mefloquin (sp) does seem to have a lot of side effects. I've never taken it. Lots of people I know have, and have been bothered by really bad insomnia and vivid and strange dreams. I've taken chloroquine and Maloran without any problem. The latter is quite a bit more expensive, but is recommended if you'll be in San Blas. Apparently the malaria in that area is resistant to chloroquine.