Reload this Page >

Upscale Hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica: Recommendations Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Wayne

Greetings. I plan to be in Costa Rica (San Jose) for business for 8 days in late January 2003 and my employer is paying for room and board. I never been to Costa Rica and would appreciate a hotel recommendation that is upscale, safe, exceptional gym, food and business accomdations (internet access, etc.) The Marriot and Intercontintental have been suggested but I can't tell from their websites what they really offer. Please provide a recommendation. <BR><BR>Also if you have a 1-2 day excusion to recommend, please do so. <BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Iza

Can't recommend a hotel in SJ as it sounds like you are looking for a business oriented place.<BR><BR>As to excursions, the Highlights tour is worth taking. Any hotel in the San Jose are will make arrangements for you if you want to take that tour.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM
susan

What are the Highlights?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Enrique

Hi Wayne:<BR><BR>The Marriot is really not that centrally located. I would go to the Intercontinental (beautiful hotel) or the Barcelo San Jose Palacio. I stayed there on business a couple of years ago and it was fine. As far as I remember, it has an Internet cafe or you can access it from your room. The restaurant is OK, not great, but you can take a cab and have dinner in town. I think they are associated to a gymn next door as well, as they advertise even racquetball courts.<BR><BR>As for the excursion, I went to the Arenal volcano and spent the night there. There are also the beaches of course...<BR><BR>Drop me a line if you have any questions,<BR><BR>Enrique

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Iza

Here is the info on the Costa Rica Highlights tour:<BR>http://www.crica.com/tours/ecoscape.html

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Tia

I also stayed at the Barcelo San Jose Palacio in San Jose as well as their &quot;sister&quot; hotel Barcelo Park Del Lago (sp??). Both were very nice. The Palacio provided the best service I think I have ever had at a hotel. We had some difficulies with our reservations and transportation due to arriving a day late because of getting stuck half way because of weather in the states. However, the concerge (a woman in her 50's with blond hair, however I can't remember her name) was the most helpful person I think I've ever met. She rearranged everything for us and found us a room even though we were a day late and were actually supposed to stay at the Park Del Lago. She was just excellent. I thought the food in the hotel was very good. I'm sure you could take a cab into town to eat somewhere else or shop as well as cabs seemed to be plentiful or they'd call one for you, too. The food at the Park Del Lago was excellent, too. I'd stay at either again without a doubt. I know they can arrange day tours as well as we picked up some brochures and spoke to a very helpful man at the tour desk.<BR><BR>Tia

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Tia

Wayne:<BR><BR>I forgot to mention that the Barcelo San Jose Palacio had a gym as well as Internet access. I am unsure about the Parque Del Lago as we did not check things out as much since we got in late and left early in the morning. Hope my comments help. I know Barcelo has a web site, too, as I checked it out before we left. The pictures don't do the place justice, though.<BR><BR>Tia