Search

San Jose Costa Rica or not

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Jose Costa Rica or not

We are lloking at an RCI timeshare for the week after Christmas but it is in San Jose. They say it is in a "quiet suburb" on the edge of town.

We have never been to Costa Rica and we want to experience all the country has to offer. Would we be in the wrong part of the country and spend all our time going to the parts of the country that are the attractions. Repors of the place say to get to restaurants and such you have to take a taxi.

Help me decide if this is aggod deal or not.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Personally I wouldn't want to spend my time in San Jose. It takes a long time to get from place to place in CR.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Does it give the name of the quiet suburb?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM

I agree the name of the suburb is important. If you rent a car, you can easily do day trips and enjoy a really large chuck of the country, in my opinion, some of the most interesting "chunks"! You can also do some day tours of the city, which has some interesting sights, museums, etc.--or catch a performance at one of the theatres, Teatro Nacional or Melico Salazar, both fairly close together.

In the evenings, for dinner in and around town, yes I would take a taxi, but they are generally inexpensive.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country and some of the greatest beauty is found in a large radius all around the city! As a splurge, you might consider staying at least one night at Arenal, about 3 hours from the city.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM

The central valley (where San Jose is located) has beautiful places to see, but these are not what I would consider suburbs. Personally, I would not base myself in this area. I'd choose a beach location and a mountain/rain forest location and be right in the thick of what there is to see. Nothing like walking out your door into paradise.

In my opinion, San Jose, Alajuela and Heredia are total hell-holes, and I wouldn't want to spend 5 minutes in any of them. Even Escazu, considered one of the more upscale suburbs, is filled with shopping malls and other development and is in the path of the pollution of San Jose.

You want to be out in the country.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:07 AM

I'm sure there are nice parts of San Jose, but lots of it is urban sprawl full of fast food joints and houses with bars on the windows; I guess it depends upon the area, but I'd rather go somewhere like Arenal.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Of course everyone wants to be out in the country, and not spending a week in town. Few people would base themselves in San Jose for a week if given that choice.

However, the OP is looking at a timeshare situation located, as she said, edge of San Jose. Her words were: Help me decide if this is a good deal.

Just saying that, if offered a timeshare hotel in CR for a week, outskirts of San Jose, heck yeah, I'd take it! Lots to do within fairly short driving distance.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Don't know what all RCI offers in CR, but there used to be a property in Playa Hermosa called Condo Vac. It may still be there and might be an alternative? Still, though, I believe that central area has more to offer, including Arenal.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM
RAC

Depends on what area, but I'd go for it. You can do all kinds of day trips from San Jose--including rafting the Pacuare river.

Just be sure you're in a safe area.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM

shillmac, we could have you stay in a cardboard box in CR, and you'd still love it. Just give you an Imperial and a great view.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Aisle, remind me how a timeshare works. Would it be completely free to you? Can you find out the name of the area where it would be or read reviews of it online?
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM

This one is only RCI time share

that I know of not bad not great.

Taranova-Villas Palmas (San Jose, Province of San Jose ...
Taranova-Villas Palmas, San Jose: See traveler reviews, candid photos, and great deals for Taranova-Villas Palmas, ranked #3 of 27 specialty lodging in San ...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._of_San_Jose.h... - 60k - Cached - Similar pages

Probably would look for a more touristic CR spot not terribly well
located for me...
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM

make that 2 Imperials for shillmac

Percy
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM

That's right because she always has one in honor of tully!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If someone is giving you the use of the place with no $$ out of your pocket, then go for it. But if you are paying a trade fee, or using your own points, skip it. I think timeshares are great for resort-type vacations where you are not venturing too far. Costa Rica just has too much to offer and I think you would not do it justice by staying in one place for a week. To enjoy CR, you should spend at least 2-3 days in various locations, not just day-trips here and there. Plus, you don't want to be in a "quiet suburb". You need to be near the beach, on a mountain or in the rain forest. Much better way to see CR.

MY
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM

IMHO, a critical factor of any vacation is where you stay .... a time share in San Jose for a first trip? I think that's a LOUSY IDEA! I don't care if it's free. Best parts of CR are away from SJ, the volcanoes, the beaches, the cloud forest, the volcanoes, the rain forest. When was the last time you heard somebody, say, boy, howdy, I really gotta get back to San Jose .... no that's not what people go to Costa Rica for.
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM

The debate is getting ready to start, Percy. I need both Imperials NOW! May have to settle for Tecate. . .

Cardboard box? No. Tent, maybe!

I only have an Imp. for Tully in her absence. Next June, she's gonna have to hold her own with those puppies!
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM

I don't want to pile on or burst your vacation bubble, but I would avoid San Jose at all cost. We only spent 1 night in SJ (to catch morning flight) and I thought that was too long. I hate to bag on East St Louis, but that's what it reminded me of. FTR- we loved CR....just not the San Jose area.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM

shillmac, maybe a tent with a fabulous outdoor shower?
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 02:30 AM

San Jose is the razor wire capital of the world. I was there twice earlier this year on my travels north from Tierra del Fuego. I stayed in a small comfortable hotel. The owner's husband had been murdered the previous year. I was warned continually to take cabs, not to walk anywhere after dark. The previous year I stayed in a cabin behind the general store in San Francisco Coyote on the Nicoya Pensinsular whilst my hand healed after a bike fall. Great village, good food, ridiculously cheap - and the pleasure of sitting outside the store, sipping a cold beer and chatting with passers-by...plus a lovely and almost deserted beach down the hill.
Would I return?
Yes, indeed....
There is a fuller description on the BLOG of my 46000 K journey at www.simongandolfi.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -