Search

2nd trip need help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd trip need help

My family of two teens and two adults were in CR last June. The trip was fabulous -spent timne at Arenal, MA and La Finca que Ama.

We plan on returning this summer for 9-10 days. My teens really want to return to MA. Where else should we go? I cansidered Peace Lodge-thought they would enjoy Poas and the waterfalls. I considered three nights at Peace Lodge and five at Tulemar Bungalows.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I haven't done this but it is "on my list" as I am fond of saying! Would your family enjoy rafting the Pacuare? I think that would be a fun way to add an extra bit of "zip" to your time without taking away from the other things too much.

You might consider 2 nights at Peace Lodge, then overnight near San Jose for the rafting. You would need to spend the second night near there as well. Then 4 nights at Tulemar.

I would even consider (if this were me): 2 nights Peace Lodge
1 night San Jose
1 night at the Pacuare Lodge (2 day rafting trip)
1 night San Jose upon return
3 nights Tulemar

On your full day at Peace Lodge, you could visit Poas in the early a.m. and enjoy the La Paz grounds rest of the day.

The next day (the day of your first overnight in San Jose) take your time getting into town. Visit some of the little towns like Sarchi and Grecia. Take a 2-3 hour walking tour of San Jose in the afternoon. Take your kids to El Pueblo that night.

Just a couple of thoughts--I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:04 AM

8 Days

Beach/Adventure 8 Days

1- Arrive at San José (SJO) / Hotel: Grand Hotel Costa Rica
We selected this hotel because its location, the hotel is in the heart of downtown, you can walk to the National theater, the Melico Salazar theater, National museum and gold & jade museum.

2- Drive from San Jose to Arenal Volcano / Hotel: Los Lagos
Driving in Costa Rica can be challenging. When traveling to the Pacific or Atlantic costs you will encounter many curves and mountains that will make your driving difficult, you need to stay relax, these are a two-way roads most of the time, even if you see other vehicles passing do NOT attempt to do the same. Many people are killed on these hazardous roads. You may get stock behind an 18 wheeler but take this good advise, pass only in designated areas. You will get there soon or later if you do NOT listen to good advise you and your car occupants may get killed on your way to paradise. I hope I did not scare you to death... but I just want to make sure you are save.

3- Stay at Arenal Volcano / Hotel: Los Lagos
You can enjoy the hot springs. This is active volcano and you will have the opportunity to see the lava flow at night (spectacular view); or you may want to take a hike to the volcano's skirt, they are a few local tour places the offer this tour.

4- Drive from Arenal to Tamarindo Beach / Hotel: El Jardin del Eden
Here are some activities to do while in Tamarindo: Scuba Diving, Sport Fishing, Surfing, Golf and Tennis. You can also enjoy tours like the Jungle Boat Safari, Canopy Adventures, Giant Leatherback Turtle Nesting Safari, Horse Back Riding, and Tamarindo Bay Sailing.

5- Tamarindo Beach / Hotel: El Jardin del Eden

6- Tamarindo Beach / Hotel: El Jardin del Eden

7- Drive from Tamarindo Beach to San José (SJO) / Hotel: Grand Hotel Costa Rica
Please remember to drive safely.

8- Wake up, time to take your plane back home / Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
Hope you enjoy Costa Rica. Ciao,

Estimated Prices as of Dec.05 (BDL Occupancy): $890.00 /Car rental: $490.00

Jungle/Adventure 8 Days

1- Arrive at San José (SJO) / Hotel: Grand Hotel Costa Rica
We selected this hotel because its location, the hotel is in the heart of downtown, you can walk to the National theater, the Melico Salazar theater, National museum and gold & jade museum.

2- Tortuguero / Hotel: Ilan Ilan
http://www.mitour.com/ingles/caribe/engtortuguero.html. The channels of Tortuguero allows you to see the richness of flora and fauna of the Atlantic region of Costa Rica. Let us travel to northeastern Costa Rica and get ready for a wet climate. This is dense ever green forest with a tropical area and a high rainfall, known as the rain forest. Our gear has to be light clothes, waterproof footwear, raincoat, and don't forget your binoculars, they may come in handy!. As we arrive in a town called Sarapiqui, imagine yourself taking a boat ride through the Rio San Juan, which is the natural division line between Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Navigating the river we will venture to the deep of the rain forest. This is the territory of the jeans' legged frogs, red frogs, howler monkeys, and wild pigs.
Ilan Ilan Packages includes: Land and fluvial transportation, bilingual guide, Lodging, meals, the basic visits in Tortuguero area.

3- Tortuguero / Hotel: Ilan Ilan

4- Back to San José (SJO) / Hotel: Grand Hotel Costa Rica
Relax evening in downtown Costa Rica.

5- Irazu Volcano Tour/ Hotel: Grand Hotel Costa Rica

6- Monteverde / Hotel: Belmar
http://centralamerica.com/cr/hotel/belmar.htm
Monteverde is a Cloud Forest Reserve

7- At Monteverde / Hotel: Belmar
Offers stunning views, great service in a relaxed rural ambiance.

8- Wake up, time to take your plane back home / Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
Hope you enjoy Costa Rica. Ciao,

Estimated Prices as of Dec.05 (BDL Occupancy): $655.00

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac. Do you think that three nights at peace lodge is too much. This would include our first night also. My daughter is in the middle of college looking in the states and do not want to be moving around a lot. I am looking into the Pacuare Lodge- for an overnight raft trip-but am also considering Peace lodge and Tulemar Bungalows in MA.

Thanks for any more advice.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Personally, I think 2 nights there is sufficient. Others might disagree. You'll have for sure one full day and then can take your time leaving the next day if you are just heading down to San Jose and points in between.

It just seems to me that the 2 day rafting tucked in between Peace Lodge and Tulemar would be a lot of fun for your family. Three nights at Manuel Antonio is a very decent amount of time. You can get a good feel for the area and the things there are to do in that amount of time. The park is, of course, a must do. I think the Finca Valmy horseback experience sounds fabulous. We won't go back to MA anytime soon, but when we do, we'll definitely fit that into our schedule!

But as to your question, 3 nights at Peace Lodge isn't necessarily too much, either. That part of Costa Rica is such a great area. You are in position to see and do a lot--you could even get over to the Caribbean slope area of La Selva Biological Station and Puerta Viejo de Sarapiqui on the Rio Sarapiqui. It's just a super area--a lot of fun to drive through and explore at a leisurely pace.

Either way you are in for a real treat. I know I've answered your question with 2 different answers, but the answer really is yes and no! 2 nights is plenty of time to enjoy La Paz and Poas, but 3 nights allows you a little more time to explore the surrounding area further! It's just whatever you guys think you would enjoy the most. You will only be trading one wonderful experience for another if you cut out a night here and add it on there!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM

We just returned from the San Jose area last week. Spent one day visiting the La Paz Waterfalls, Poas Volcano, and Doka Coffee Plantation. All excellent and in the same general area. We left San Jose at 6:30 a.m. and were back again around 5:00 p.m.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:21 PM

If your kids (and you) like adventure, it would be worth your while to stay in San Lorenzo at Valle Escondidos. They have really awesome tours and I've done them everywhere. It's my son's favorite. It's in a cloud forest but not as far as Monteverde, and they have a regular canopy tour plus an extremely high and wide open canopy tour. The rappelling tour is fabulous and the guides are terrific. There's horseback riding, hiking, the whole bit, and good food too.

Sandy
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:49 AM

I would definitely recommend the overnight rafting trip on the Pacuare. My husband and I did this trip with Aventuras Naturales last July, and it was unbelievable. Here's a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34660546