Search

Tulum Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tulum Beach

Is nudity or topless sunbathing a common practice on all Tulum beaches?

I was considering spending a week in Tulum in late summer, but I would be uncomfortable if all the beaches were primarily topless. Are there specific nude beaches or are there any beaches or areas where it is not accepted?

Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Pretty much all of the beach there is c/o and/or topless, but you will find that it is not particularly common to see people as the beach is so long and so wide and there are so few people on it (unless you go to one of the beach clubs).

We were just there for a few days in April, and I saw very few topless and no nude beach-goers.

We also went to one of the most popular beach clubs/bars (Paraiso), and the only nudity I saw was a small child.

During the time you will be there, it will be even less crowded than when I was, so I don't think you will find it at all common unless you stay at a resort where it is common.

The beach there is just stunning, and even when people are topless or nude, they are usually just sunning on a chair or towel and not strolling about that way.

I think you would be fine to go during that time.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Although there may be topless sunbathing in Mexico, actually it is generally frowned upon by the locals. Most areas of Spanish descent in the Caribbean are actually fairly conservative. When the Europeans starting coming to these areas they brought their desires for nudity/toplessness with them - and most Mexican resorts are too polite [and too dependent on tourist $$$] to request otherwise. However, in Cozumel I have seen hotel security ask folks to cover up as it they do not consider it appropriate - you might consider Coz.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Although the beaches at Tulum weren't at all crowded when we were there about a year and a half ago, I'd guess half the folks were nude/semi-nude. Not a big deal, they were just lying there. Except for the incredibly beautiful blond girl who was dancing in the surf, wearing nothing but a blue thong. One of my husband's favorite memories of that trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM

LOL, Jean!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's not for me. But, not a problem - I'll look into other Mexico locales. Thanks again!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:34 AM

This sounds like an area that would be of interest to us. What are a few nicer AI resorts where CO or topless is widely accepted?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I think it's pretty much the entire Tulum area that is topless and c/o.
The beach there is exceptionally wide and long with not a whole lot of people there.

I have been all over the region, and the only place I did not see toplessness was Cozumel and Puerto Morelos. (There is one CO beach on Coz - and it's a nice beach too.)

I don't ever stay at AI's so I really can't recommend any, but there is a wide variety of places to stay in the Tulum area - both AI's and non.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Is topless sunbathing common practice in the Playa area at nicer AI's like Royal Hideaway, Adventura, Riu Palace, etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I didn't see any topless sunbathing at all at the Cancun Marriotts.