Trying to Decide

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to Decide

We have booked a trip to Brazil through Travelocity. Relying on the glam and glitter stories of Rio we did so without doing research. After the fact we are doing research about the requirements of travel and the dangers waiting for us when we get there. Any other time we would have cancelled or transfered our trip, however, we all know the better the deal the less you get back when changing your mind. Can anyone shead any light on the travel to Rio Brazil, the dangers, the airport delays once in the country for Americans, and any other pitfalls that may help us decide whether or not to cancel our trip before Thanksgiving.

Thanks
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Are you kidding cancel? No way! Brazil ahhhh. wish i could go. don't listen to all the hoopla of crime. come on if you just have commen sense you'll be fine. just bring enough cash for the occassion. try not to look like a tourist. tees jean, shorts flip flops is all you need for november If you booked through travelocity you probably paid alot. I would rent an apartment www.rentaflat.com.br A one bedroom high season is about $65 per night and studio about $55. maybe more or less prices might have risen. I went there for the last four years first me and my husband, second myself, husband and son (9 months), third myself, husband, son, and daughter. see how I keep adding to my family!!!! You should go. However I would definately check out rio during carnival time. It is not to be missed. email me if you need any tips.

i traveled via local bus and metro w/ no problems. i took a couple of cabs here and there because there is alot of traffic now in rio. more so than past years. hopefully they will extend the metro to barra for an easier commute
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Yes Carioca girl is right, I go to Rio 2x a year and if you act like you would act in any big city of the world then you will be ok. Leave your jewelry at home and only carry enough cash with you that you will need for that day, you should be fine.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Karada, do not you dare to change your trip. DO NOT LISTEN to the local news, they are exagerated.
Once you arrive there you will see the real thing...as in any other place, you have to be careful and take care of yourself. YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH BRASIL...I BET YOU $1000 USD
1- Immigration is not longer taking pictures or fingerprinting americans. and if they do is not a big deal at all. If they do, you may have to wait a little, but be assured that no one will harass you.
2- I will pick a hotel in Ipanema or Leblon. Both, in my opinion are more tourist friendly and safer. Copacabana is beautiful and you have many hours of daylight to enjoy it... at night time you have no business there. Feel free to walk all over Ipanema with the nice restaurant and cafes at any time.
3- You will need a visa to enter the country... this is just bureocracy for goverments to collect money. Go to the Brazilian consulate with your valid passport, 2 pictures, tickets and $100. , no questions asked... come next day for stamped passaport.
4- The famous FAVELAS is just a myth.. tourist attractions are not even close..sure there are delinquents in some of them.. but they do not come down to kill tourist..I took a tour of one, and no different to any other poor neighborhood in Latin America.
5- Brazilians are really nice, gentle and caring people... a little on the lay back side but they will not harm you.
Feeling better now...
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Sorry Karada, but have to say hello to DONDIEGA, he is the expert.
Dondiega, como voce va? Have not seen you around...have you been travelling.
Leaving sunday for the UK and a cruise back to the USA.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM

My husband and I just returned from the most unbelievable 10 days in Rio and Buzios. Let me tell you a little well kept secret.

If the Americans knew what a gem Brazil(Rio) is, they would flock to Rio et all in droves. You have to understand that at present a fierce competition exist among countries to draw maximum tourists and the mass media delights in that fact.

We have been to all continents, but Rio's beauty is the most spectacular by far, and I'm originally from Cape Town (considered to be one of the top 3 most beautiful cities)!

This is what we did for our vacation:

We stayed in the best and most sophisticated area in Rio called Leblon in the Marina Palace Hotel which is situated right on the beach. Leblon is the ultimate location. It resembles a local Soho and consist of walking distance restaurants, shops, bars etc. Also the hotel room had a fantastic view of Ipanema beach. We paid $ 110/night, breakfast included. Perfect for us. A tip: Don't book a hotel which is not on the beach because you will miss out on watching Rio play. More tips:

1. Rio consists of a superior avant garde society. Visit their great art museums.

2. Cariocas dress extremely well, much better than Americans. I have not seen women walking on Ipanema beach or Leblon dressed in old clothes. Buy your clothes in Rio or bring some classy clothes along from home, especially evening wear.

3. I have not seen one beggar on the beach.

4. You can walk in Leblon and Ipanema by night. Ipanema/Leblon is very safe and you will see lots and lots of classy and well to do women jogging, cycling, walking and enjoying the beaches.....totally alone until late at night.

5. Leave your bling-bling at home. Pick pockets exist everywhere in the world, even in Rio.

6. Buy the Lonely Planet: Rio de Janeiro City Guide. We used this fantastic pocket guide book exclusively to see everyting.

I'm busy sorting out all our images, but will post a link later to them.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Oi, Miguel, Eu estou muito beleza, obrigado, e voce? Yes I was on vacation in South Beach Miami, had a nice time and met some nice Brazilians to practice my Portuguese. I will be in Rio early November.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Wanted to thank everyone for their responses. They have really helped us to decide to go for the adventure in Brazil!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:00 AM

I agree with everyone that Rio is a beauty. I am an Asian and I've traveled to many parts of the world. But haven't seen any city like Rio despite the fact that I am not a beach person at all.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:52 AM

To Butterfly wings.

Hi, i read your posting and its great to know you had a wonderful time. I wanted to respectfully comment on cariocas dressing better than americans. The quality of clothing varies for brazilians. Remember the majority of brazilians either have alot of money or have very little. Hardly there is no in between (at least in my perspective). In and around Ipanema and Leblon area (which is more trendy). You will see lots of carioca's dress up in the evening to go out. However there are carioca's that do dress in jeans and tee to go to the local bars and cafes. Dressing up is saved for expensive restaurants and clubs. During the day is bathing suit and a sarong or shorts and teeshirt w/ flip flops < americans call it > Brazilians call them (sandilas). I would definately recommend bringing money to buy clothing. THe womens clothing in the malls are good fabrics. The shoes are so so. Although I did not check out the shoes in the boutiques. Jeans are cheap. Especially if you like strech. You can be small or big and beleive me they squeeze into them! As for jewelry that a good bargain too! If you want to find basic things such as nice jeans, bathing suits, infant clothing and gear, jewelry and music cd I would reccomend traveling downtown during business hours.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:53 AM

Remember you want to blend in. YOu don't want to stand out like a tourist.