Rio Before I Die.............

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to visit Rio de Janeiro before I retire........Or at least before I die!!!
Has anyone done a reasonable 4,or 5 day visit there?And was it expensive?Was it safe?It is the safety aspect that stops me from jumping on a 'plane.........But I know that I'll get there someday.....
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM

I go twice a year to Rio and I do not find it very dangerous if you practice a little common sense. Take taxis at night, do not wear any jewelry, do not carry any more money on you then you need for that moment. Five days is fine for Rio, you can see everything you need to see plus have some relax time on the beach
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:37 AM

The currency in brasil right now is very strong but still brasil represents a travel value if you have dollars or Euros. There are medium priced hotels and restaurants that are not too expensive that can make your trip much cheaper than many other destinations.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM

Don't wait!!!! Go to Rio now!!! If I spoke Portuguese I would move there.

Last spring break (end of March) I went to Rio and the Amazon with a group of friends and family. It was supposed to be just my husband and I and then the trip grew to 10 people total because everyone thought it sounded so great AND the price was exptremely reasonable. I think part of that was the fact that, as Dondiega mentions, the currency rate is quite favorbale to the US dollar. The other thing was that we checked around and found a travel agent specializing in travel to Brazil who was able to get us some great deals on airfare and hotels. His name is Edson Alessi and you can contact his at [email protected]. We spent 3 nights in Rio, one night in Manaus and then 3 nights on a river boat on the Rio Negro. it was an extroidinarily memorable trip. And check out the November issue of Conde Nast Traveler. Tere is an article about Rio that will definitely whet your appetite.

In Rio, we arrived from Miami at about 7am and were met by our guide for the next 3 days (since we had such a large group we were able to have one guide take care of us throughout). We stayed at the Orla Copacabana (mentioned in the Conde Nast article) which turned out to be a very nice hotel. They were able to check us in to our rooms by 9am and so we were able to catch a quick nap before heading out to see the city. My husband and I walked along Copacabana Beach and then met the rest of the group for our trip up Sugarloaf. We were supposed to get there for sunset, but it was cloudy, so no sunset but it was very neat to see the lights come on all over the city. The next day we did a full day tour of Corcovado Mountain and the Christ the Redeemer Statue (on Easter Sunday) and then lunch in the Santa Teresa neighborhood. We finished off with a trip to the Hippie Fair on Ipanema (held every Sunday and well worth it). Monday we had the day to ourselves and my husband and I went up in a helicopter over the city, then wandered over to the botanical gardens for an hour or so (absolutely stunning). The we walked Ipanema Beach and did some people watching. That evening we did a Rio at Night tour where we went to one of the churrascarias and then to a folklore show. Unfortunately the next morning we had to leave. I definitely want to go back. There is so much more to do and see. I never felt unsafe and we did alot of walking. Just use common sense - it's a big city. At night we made sure to be in a group (at least 3 people) and we didn't carry alot of expensive stuff or wear expensive jewelry.

Hope this convinces you to not put off your trip to Rio.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM

carioca4ed, you have it right -- you MUST see Rio before you die. In fact, there are only three cities that I tell my friends they have to see before they "check out": Paris, Venice, and Rio.

I've only been to Rio once, this past October. But I'm already dreaming of future trips there (Carnival, New Year's, maybe a birthday or two).

I spent four nights and three days there. I had a room at the Luxor Copacabana Hotel along Avenida Atlantica. I paid $107 for a standard room with a balcony that provided a perfectly nice view out to Copacabana Beach (there are rooms with panoramic views of the beach at around $130, but the catch is that there isn't a balcony to see it from). The hotel was clean and well-managed. And while I used the regular airport bus to get to my hotel, it was great to utilize the hotel's private car/driver to return me to the airport (I think it may have been around $40-50, but worth every penny for a reliable ride).

I took bus tours up to Corcovado and to Sugar Loaf. Unfortunately, it was overcast the day I went up to Sugar Loaf, so there was literally no view; Corcovado was mixed, with scattered clouds, but the view was magnificent. You're always aware you're in a beautiful place, but seeing it panoramically from up high brings it home even more clearly. I booked both those tours right at the hotel registration desk with Brazilian currency.

I utilized the subway (clean, cool, and efficient) to get from Copacabana to downtown Rio (best seen during a weekday morning or afternoon when office workers and others are out and about with you) to explore the lovely old colonial buildings there. I returned via a city bus and didn't even have a single person *look* like they were gonna pick pocket me.

Which brings me to the safety aspect. I would echo anybody who says that using normal big city precautions, you'll be fine. In Rio, there's the fact that some of the favelas (slums) tumble down the hillsides and abut parts of Copacabana and other upscale neighborhoods. But if you take taxis in the evening, study maps in your hotel before leaving to sightsee or else view them inside a public building or out of plain sight, don't sport any flashy jewelry, you'll be okay.

In fact, before arriving in Rio, I had spent a few days in Buenos Aires. THAT'S where I actually had a camera stolen from out of my hands as I snapped a photo. (I had a second digital camera back at the hotel, thank goodness, so that I could get plenty of nice photos in Rio.)

On my final day, I took a bus down to Ipanema, and I almost wish I had stayed there or else budgeted more time -- the Lagoon, which is just a few blocks in from the ocean, is gorgeous, ringed with mountains and luxury buildings.

The Cariocas were a wonderful bunch of folks, every last one of them. Obviously, I might have run into an unpleasant person or two had I stayed longer, but overall, I'd say the residents of the city are some of the friendliest, most apporoachable people around.

So, in conclusion: Go!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM

TTT
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM

carioca4ed, if you are from the UK, then it will probably be VERY cheap for you! I know the pound is super strong to the dollar, and if the dollar is already strong in Rio....you won't have to spend much to enjoy yourself!

The safety aspect has been discussed many times here, and I will admit, I was one of the posters who raised concerns about my safety there. I managed to go around by myself (on days that my friends were at the beach) with no problems. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't wear designer clothes or jewelry, and you should do fine.

One night during Carnaval, I got really drunk--I drank too many caipirinhas!--and managed to stumble home. I almost caught a cab, but even the cab driver wouldn't take me! And when he saw me wandering off toward a street that would not be so safe, he waved me the other way. I can't believe I got home safely, even though I did have two guy friends helping me. I confess this story just to illustrate that although there are dangerous areas, there are also very helpful people and you will be fine (Just dont' drink too many caipirinhas).
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:16 AM

In March 2005 myself, my wife and another couple went to Rio for 5 nights and Buenos Aires for 5 nights. I'm not sure I'll ever have a better vacation.

Use www.kayak.com to search for discount flights -- we flew for about $775 a person from NYC to Miami to Rio to BA and back to NYC. You can find reasonable hotels in Rio for $75-125 a night (I say forget the beachfront balconies; who stays in their hotels on vacation anyway? Go for the more affordable, but well maintained hotels off the beach, and you'll enjoy making the 5 min. walk through the bustling city in the morning. You can rent a chair and an umbrella for like $3 total, and beers and other drinks are $1 a piece. There's no reason to stay in a hotel on the beach, unless you want to stand on the balcony like a king and marvel at your ability to afford the luxury.)

Breakfast -- a coffee and two empanadas -- should cost you about $2; you might pay more if you want a big breakfast. Lunch should cost you about $5 if you buy it by the kilo ($10 if you go to a nicer place and have a few beers.) Dinner should be under $10 a person (again, unless you go somewhere special). Avoid the pricey churrascarias -- the American churrascarias have a much higher quality of meat, albeit at a much steeper price. Considering the quality of food served at a Rio churrascaria, there are much better deals to be found. (I'm including tax and tip in the above prices.)

The only thing I'd do differently is stay near Ipanema instead of Copacabana -- it's a much nicer area and worth the $10-20 premium for the hotels.

Regarding safety, I would add that it was never a problem for us, even in Copacabana. At first, heeding the warnings of travel websites, we were only taking like $20 with us around the city and hiding our camera everywhere. By the end, we were taking pictures among the rowdy crowds of Macarena stadium.