Trip to Nicoya

Jan 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Nicoya

Hi,

I am planning to travel to the Nicoya Peninsula from March 2 - 10 of this year. I will be with three friends from college. We are planning on spending Mar 2 and 3 in Montezuma and then the rest of the trip in Mal Pais / Santa Teresa.

First, what does everyone think about that? Will we get bored spending so long in ST/MP?

Second, is having A/C necessary? How hot is it in early march?

Finally, in Montezuma - I am deciding between the Luz de Mono and Hotel el Jardin. Any suggestions? Anywhere else to consider? We are four college guys. We don't mind spending more to get a nicer place however we want to be where the action is (close to nightlife and other people!) We aren't looking to seclude ourselves.

In ST/MP, we are considering staying a few nights in a house www.pacha-malpais.com and then possibly at Tropico Latino or the Funky Monkey Lodge. Any thoughts? Where else might we want to consider?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the long post.

Mickey
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM

That would be a little long for me in Malpais (although it is beautiful there and if I really needed quality down time, that would be a good place to get it!). However, if you are surfing, I'm sure you'd appreciate all those days.

Can't speak to any of your hotel choices except Tropico Latino--we like it, but had the front beach bungalow (only one of them)--loved the closeness to the beach and the view. There is another bungalow behind it, but the view not so great from there. Rental house is next door, looked like a cool place for a family or group.

Yes, I'd think you should get AC. March at the beach is VERY hot. We were there in March the first time. TL does have AC.

Have fun, be smart! You need to get the hotels reserved--it's late booking for this time of year!
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Anywhere else in Mal Pais that you recommend? Is the rest of Tropico Latino nice as well, even if we don't get the "beach front" bungalow? everyone that raves about it says they stayed there. Also, if we decide to move on from Mal Pais after say 3 nights - any recommendations on where to go from there?
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Yes, they "looked" very nice from the outside. Not fancy, but nice. They face each other behind the bungalows and before you get to the parking lot. Not sure how many, maybe 6 on each side. .

You guys might have fun driving up that rough coastal road (can only be done in dry season) and surfing Nosara. If you don't like that, keep going up to Tamarindo and Playa Grande and check out that surf area. That drive would be a fun adventure for you. You'd have to stop and ask directions a lot, it's inland, coastal, inland, coastal, back and forth, crossing a few shallow rivers. .but if I were you, that's what I would do!
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM

I like Montezuma and Mal Pais but id add another beach, Nosara as Shillimac suggested would be my choice:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/mal_pa...ome/index.html

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/montez...ome/index.html

if there are 4 of you, id hire the 'house' at Amor de Mar in Montezuma. On the beach and across the road from the entrance to the waterfall!
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Love Amor de Mar, but it will be very hot without AC in March!
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM

i was there last Marcxh it was fine.
but im 'acllimatised'