Search

Nosara or Montezuma

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nosara or Montezuma

We will be traveling to CR in June. After Torteguero, Arenal, and Monteverde, we want some beach time. Many have suggested Manuel Antonio, which was our original beach destination, but we all want to be able to walk out of our hotel or lodge to the beach, but I still want to be able view wildlife. Montezuma and Nosara looked like good alternatives. The boys want to be able to boogie board and possibly surf. Are these good possibilities for both activities, and how difficult would it be to travel to either area? We do not plan to rent a car, but instead will use mainly shuttle buses. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM

I'm not familiar with Nosara, but Montezuma is my favorite beach spot in CR. My resort of choice there is Ylang-Ylang (aka El Sano Banano). The restaurant is very good (thought not cheap), the staff are friendly and helpful, and the beach domes are about 50 paces off the beach.

Playa Grande is great for boogie boarding. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Y-Y beach. Surfing is better over at Mal Pais -- we typically make a day of it, heading over mid-morning and back after dinner. Taxi fare, pre-arranged by the hotel, is US$25 each way. It's about a 30-40 minute ride.

I haven't had much luck viewing wildlife in the nearby parks. On the other hand, when we were at Y-Y in February, one evening about 5pm we paused on the path to the pool and spotted 5 white-faced monkeys (including 2 babies), a coati, an iguana, and 2 squabbling agouti.

We don't rent a car, either. We fly Sansa into Tambor from SJO (US$65 one way), then take a taxi for the 20-30 minute ride to Montezuma (US$25). I buy my Sansa tickets on the internet and have never encountered a problem. Their little shack of a terminal is adjacent to the SJO terminal.

Next trip I'm tempted to try flying into Liberia, because United now has Saturday non-stops from Chicago, where I live, but it looks like a hassle getting from there down to Montezuma.

BTW, Montezuma is much less "built up" and/or touristy than MA. Which is why I like it better.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, buzzer, for the information. Do you know if one can rent boogie boards and/or surf boards in Montezuma. It's nice to know that Montezuma is not quite so touristy, especially since it has been so popular. I hear though that it is mainly the destination of 20 somethings. What about a couple of 50+ somethings and 2 teenage boys?
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Manuel Antonio in Quepos has riptides. Be very careful!

You can fly to Nosara via plane, they have atv's to go thru town.

Havent been to Montezuma but havent heard anything bad about it either.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I too like to be able to walk out my door and onto the beach. There is at least a couple of choices in MA, however the best choices of lodgings in this area are sitting on the bluffs and offer that spectacular view! MA will offer many many choices of activities for all of you.

As for Montezuma, I too enjoyed the El Sano Banano Beach bungalows, but this would not work for a couple and two boys. However they also offer suites here on the beach that would work perfectly. The upstairs units have two double beds and a loft with a king bed. Just a few steps further on the beach from the dome bungalows, but still beach front. Keep in mind that at this particular hotel, you have to walk 10-20 minutes on the beach when going into town, which was not a problem, just to make you aware. Oh and no surfing at Montezuma, not sure about boogie boards. As for wildlife, we saw several monkeys at El Sano, but not much else.

Yes, Montezuma and many of the little beach towns, tend to be a youngest crowd. We thought we would be the oldest people there, but were not. I am late 40's my husband early 60's so you will be fine!

I too would suggest you look at the MalPais/Santa Teresa areas, as well as the Nosara and others on the Pacific side of the Nicoya. Look at Tamarindo area too, which would offer you more to do. Not a surfer but many of these little towns offer excellent surfing and beginner lessons.

http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/
http://tamarindobeach.net/index.html
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM

"As for Montezuma, I too enjoyed the El Sano Banano Beach bungalows, but this would not work for a couple and two boys. However they also offer suites here on the beach that would work perfectly. The upstairs units have two double beds and a loft with a king bed. Just a few steps further on the beach from the dome bungalows, but still beach front."

Yes, I forgot to mention that. In February we stayed in one of the upstairs suites (there were 3 of us) and it worked perfectly. I was thinking the parents and boys might prefer separate domes, but it would be more expensive and the boys would have to share a bed, since the domes feature one double bed each.

Re: the walk to town, it's perhaps worth mentioning that they give you a ride to the beach property upon arrival, but after that you're hoofing it. On departure day they pick up your luggage and store it at the registration desk in town to await your arrival on foot.

I've seen guys surfing at the M. beach, but not many and not often. Boogie boards are definitely okay -- the resort rents them for an appalling $10/day. (The rate was $3/day in 2004/05.)
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking that Nosara might work better for us. Any experiences with this beach area?