Search

Trip to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Costa Rica

Wife and I would like to take a trip to Costa Rica for two weeks or so. Time of year is not important but we do have a limited budget..suggestions?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:33 PM

first let me say that costa rica was the most beautiful place i have ever been. you definately need to try congo trailing!! but i would say definately go all inclusive. i didn't and it was quite expensive but well worth it.and the people are super friendly.and the vanilla ice cream i had at one of the road side stands was indescribable. p.s. i really do not even like ice cream. but let me wish you and your wife a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:39 AM

Well , I would definitely not go A.I. Too many great lodging options ..... With enough research you can find lots of budget lodging , and cheap eats . Expedia for your airfare and your set . You need to determine yourself your locations and interests in Costa Rica ..... Once you have that people can give you more specifics . Sit down and " google " search certain areas to get a feel for what they are like , then add or cross them off your list . With 2 weeks , 3 areas is doable . Either local bus or " Interbus " can be your transport . Are you young , do you surf , do you like remote areas , volcano ???
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:58 AM

Agree with Faithie - way too much to see in CR to stay in an all inclusive resort.

However an AI resort should not be confused with remote lodging with food included - if that makes sense?! Many lodges in CR are very remote and getting to a restaurant may take a long time and transportation costly, in this case then certainly food included is desirable.

Start as you have with searching the Internet, and if you have not already, purchase a guidebook and read it. CR is so tremendously diverse, offering just about anything your heart desires. You can find budget accomodations everywhere. Naturally the green season will be the least expensive.

Give us some info on what you like to do, what you want to see and approx per night lodging expense expectation. Limited budget - means different things for different folks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:17 AM

Hi!
My mother and I are also doing a 2 week trip to CR in July. We just booked our air with America West ($428 pp). We are also on a limited budget, but right now, I've been looking at some nice places to stay (around $100-$170 per night). Nice lodging is very important to us, so I'm hoping we can save some money in other ways such as food. We are looking to go to Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio.
Carrie
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:36 AM

For those prices you should indeed get nice lodging ..... We prefer to do it the other way , we are hardly ever in our rooms , so we take a more basic room and splurge a bit on our meals . We paid ( green season ) $60.00 per night in an efficiency room at Costa Verde , perfect !! There are other super spots in the same range ( Didi's Charming B&B , Mono Azul , Casa Buena Vista , La Colina )all 50.00 or under clean and charming some even including free breakfast . And this is not even budget lodging , 20.00 a night rooms still exist !!! These are just some examples in M.A. , they exist in other areas as well .
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:11 AM

Agree with past two posts, do not do A.I. not worth it or necessary. If you go in months of June thru Sept, and feel adventurous, you can travel from most towns and find decent rooms, under $50/night and really good food. Just ask locals and they are more than willing to offer advice. The nicest people in the world. have fun and explore.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

We are on a budget of about 100 per day and thank you all for you advice. I do not understand all of the abbreviations that you folks used tho...we are 70 and like to walk and or hike.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Sorry !! A.I. is an All Inclusive " resort " . M.A. is for Manuel Antonio Park and area ....
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM

Perhaps 3 days in Arenal , a few in the central valley , and Manuel Antonio ..?? There are loads of options .
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Faithie,
You provide great information. The only reason I'm willing to go up to around $170/night is because I'll be traveling with my 79 year old mom. Could you recommend places that are more adult oriented (not too many kids); nice facilities for a senior?
Thanks much!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:53 PM

Hi again Faithie,
We are also looking for accommodations near San Jose (for rest after our flight); Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio. I'd really appreciate your suggestions.
Carrie
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:35 AM

Hi Carrie , This sounds like a nice trip ! I can only make suggestions for M.A. since it has been quite some time since I visited some of the other areas ...... In M.A. Costa Verde 2 would be a nice option . It is the adult only area of Costa Verde , and from C.V. 2 , the restaurant is an easy stroll , and the pool is just in front of the building with a view that could bring you to tears .... Building B would be great for your mom as well , but children would be around as it's part of C.V.1 ....( very convenient to restaurant and no stairs )Makanda is adult only , but a bit pricey . At Villas Nicolas you would probably not see many kids , and it's a sweet place .
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Hi Faithie! How ya been? How's life on PEI?

dcsam, we like both Hotel Villa Bonita (charming young Costa Rican couple run this b&B near the airport) and also Las Orquideas (about 15 min from the airport) with a fun bar and restaurant. Both have wonderful breakfasts.

Arenal, we enjoyed Arenal Paraiso. Monteverde we stayed at El Sapo Dorado and liked it there, but I also thought El Estabalo looked very nice with a wonderful view. Have heard good things about Fonda Vela as well.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:44 AM

We stayed at Las Orchideas 3 nights this year. It was fine, we even had one of the lesser expensive rooms, I think they were called Garden side. Simple rooms, normal hotel style, but were brightly painted. Small grounds to walk about, nice pool, good food, delicious breakfast, friendly helpful staff, fun bar, lots of travelers coming and going which made for interesting conversations.

Each of our trips we have stayed somewhere near or in SJ. Previously we have stayed at:
Vista del Valle, higher price than Orchideas, but beautiful grounds, fabulous rooms, great food. About 20 mins from SJO.
Peace Lodge, again much higher, but the falls, butterflies, hummingbirds and the rooms were worth it. About an hour from SJO.
Hotel Brittania, downtown SJ hotel, very comfortable, good staff. We just did not like being in town. The noise was not bad, we just much prefer a view of hills and valleys, rather than cars and buildings.

The Don Carlos always gets great reviews for an in town hotel and not too expensive.

One thing to consider is where your transportation will pick up for your trip to Tortuguero.