Search

Honeymoon Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Rebecca

Honeymoon Help!!

Hi Everyone. I have seen some good advice on these boards and Im hoping I can get some good advice. My fiance and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica in late July/Aug. I'm looking for tips on where to stay and what are must see things! I would like a good mix of adventure/relaxation. A few nights in an all inclusive might be good. I also wouldnt mind a private bungalow on the beach or in the jungle.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Ally

Hi Rebecca,<BR>It's going to be too hard for most people to answer this without some more information.<BR>Do you know anything about Costa Rica? First I suggest you get a good guide book and try to get an idea of all that CR has to offer and what you would like to do.<BR><BR>What is your budget? (Luxury or budget or mid range?) How long do you plan to be in Costa Rica? <BR>Do you want to get off the beaten path to places where you won't find many tourist, or do you want to stay in an area that offers good nightlife? <BR>HOW adventurous are you? Would you be interested in an overnight rafting trip? Do you like the idea of a zip-line tarzen style canopy tour or just the suspended bridge type?<BR><BR>With that said, most people will recommend going to La Fortuna area to see Arenal Volcano...various parks for wildlife (Manuel Antonio or Osa area are excellent for this) and a 'beach' destination..either Pacific or Caribbean side, depending on what interest you.<BR>I would NOT go to an all-inclusive, as that is NO way to see Costa Rica!<BR><BR>Please get back to us with more info so we can help! I've been to CR 7 times and would love to make suggestions, but I need more info!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Helper

Go to Lapa Rios. Check their website

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Rebecca

Ally, Thanks for pointing out I was a bit sparse w/ info. We want ti stay two weeks. We want a few nights of complete luxury. This is why I mentioned the all inclusive. After the stress of our families we would like two nights to do absolutly nothing but recharge!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Rebecca

Ally, Thanks for pointing out I was a bit sparse w/ info. We want ti stay two weeks. We want a few nights of complete luxury. This is why I mentioned the all inclusive. After the stress of our families we would like two nights to do absolutly nothing but recharge! After that we would be ready for a mid-level of adventure. I am not a boat person, the idea of sharp rocks and a rubberboat does not appeal to me. However, the zipline sounds awesome. Hiking tours and/or horseback riding would be great too. I love to snorkel, but FH has never been in the ocean so that might be fun. <BR><BR>As for budget, like I mentioned a few nights we want to go all out, but the rest of the trip hopefully will be mid range. Location can be varied also. I want to feel secluded, but not isolated if that makes any sense. Night life isn't that important to us, as we live in Chicago and can go out anynight. We are going to CR to explore what it offers. <BR><BR>My last question, how expensive is food and alchohol in CR? When deciding a budget for hotels we want to make sure to save enought so that we can eat and drink well.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Dawn

I would suggest that because of the time of year that you are going (in the middle of the rainy season) that you avoid a place that I would typically recommend to all who go to Costa Rica, that is the Osa Peninsula.<BR><BR>You may want to spend your beach time in the drier, northeastern area. This area is more minimally touched by the rainy season.<BR><BR>In addition, this is turtle nesting season so I highly recommend that you go to Tortuguero National Park on the Caribbean coast for at least three days. You will be able to see the nesting as well as go on rainforest/mangrove boat tours.<BR><BR>I thought that the Arenal Volcano area was a little overrated. The hot springs were nice, but considering the time of year that you are going you probably will not get to see the Volcano. It will be covered over in clouds.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Iza

Don't write off Osa just because you are going in the green season. We visited in August of 2001 and it was definitely worth it. Actually, that may be a good way to get your &quot;all inclusive&quot; fix if you go with a place like Lapa Rios.<BR><BR>Think about how many destinations you would like to see during your trip (you will be able to visit 3 or 4 comfortably but with 4 it will be a more active trip, less time to relax). <BR><BR>In July/August any place on Nicoya Penninsula should have better (drier) weather than other places in Costa Rica.<BR><BR>Here is our itinerary from last year that I think would work well for an active honeymoon:<BR>1 night near San Jose (stay at Xandari or Vista del Valle)- usually necessary b/c of flight times<BR>3 nights at Manuel Antonio (we stayed at Si Como No which was great, but on a honeymoon I would probably stay at Makanda)<BR>3 nights on Osa Penninsula (Lapa Rios)<BR>2 nights at Arenal (on a honeymoon I would probably stay at Tabacon Resort)<BR>4 nights in Tamarindo (we stayed at a bungalow at Capitan Suizo Hotel - our definite favorite). An alternative to Tamarindo may be Punta Islita - looks like a great place for a honeymoon.<BR>1 night near San Jose - again, necessary b/c flight schedule.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:24 AM
judie

I agree with some of the others. Don't go to an all inclusive -- you'll miss too much real Costa Rica. But to get your couple days of do nothing pampering do stay your first night or two (if you need it) at Vista Del Valle or Xandari. we've been to Vista and thought it was Wonderful. Others like Xandari even better apparently. Beautiful relaxing spots. Then you should be ready &quot;to get active.&quot; As other posters have said Osa is terrific, though I know the lodge where we stayed Casa Corcovado closes for part or all of August. If Lapa Rios is open and rains won't bother you, that would be great spot.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Ally

Well, as usual, I agree with everything Iza says, including hotel choices. And, I would not put off Osa because of rain either. I went in September one year, and while it did pour everyday, it never started before 3:00 so we still had plenty of sun in the mornings and early afternoons. Also, loved Capitan Suizo. Tamarindo is a great little (well, no SO little) town that has a lot to offer. You can even even take a tour from there to Rincon de la Vieja area which includes a canopy tour and a mud treatment at a natural spa. Tamarindo has fabulous sunsets, as does Manuel Antonio.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Brad

Dear rebecca,<BR><BR>Check out Hotel California (www.hotel-california.com) in Manuel Antonio. Great secluded hotel that is close enough to the beach but far away enough from the crowds. Reasonably priced, and can set up any type of tour. Good mix of fun and relaxation!