Notices

Trip to Cabo San Lucas

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Cabo San Lucas

Once again, seeking a way to use a timeshare, we have a 24 hour hold on Pueblo Bonita Rose at Sunset Beach resort in Cabo San Lucas. Looking for any Fodorite feedback in the next 24 hours as we are unsure if this is a destination we'd want to go to. It does sound beautiful and will be very relaxing. Although you hear of a lot of not so good things going on in Mexico, this is like 1,000 miles away from those areas recently in the news, and located on a penisula.

Any info you can give us, pro and con, (restaurants, prices, safety factor, activities (or not), etc.), will be much appreciated. Also, going April 11-18, I believe we are on the other end of spring break.

My husband has been wanting to go there for the last few years, so...

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM

I went to Cabo San Lucas for the first time and really enjoyed myself. You are correct NONE of the things you hear in the news have anything to do with tourists in Cabo. Nada.

It IS very beautiful and very relaxing. It's a small town and quite laid back. There are the usual activities (or not) as in any beach town... boat trips, fishing, snorkeling, trips to nearby towns (San Jose del Cabo, Todos Santos, etc.).

I found the restaurants to be absolutely wonderful. I used "Trappers List" which you can find on the helpful friendly forum for Cabo over at Trip Advisor. There are all kinds of restaurants from inexpensive taco stands and local restaurants to high-end fancy places like you'd find in California. And everything in between.

I highly recommend you try it. And the folks at TA can help you with any other details. Or ask again here and I'll try (there are only a few Cabo folks on Fodor's).

suerte, suze
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 03:36 PM

GO!! GO!!! Pueblo Bonito has wonderful properties. Rose and Sunset Beach are two different resorts in CSL. But either one is great. Rose and Blanco are right in the town of CSL on the main swimming beach. Sunset Beach is located about 10 minutes away on the Pacific side. Its beach is not swimmable, but who cares with a view like that - stunning!!

So stunning, we bought a timeshare at Sunset Beach about 6 years ago!! We go every other year and still love it!! You have access to all of the PB resorts in Cabo. There is a shuttle bus going between Sunset and Rose each hour.

Here is the link to Trapper's List for Cabo:

http://www.trapperscabolist.com/

Please report back.

MY
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the info. Sometimes when I read reviews on TA, it kind of scares me off...Do you recommend Sunset over Medano Beach? How easy/expensive is it to get around. I checked out the Trappers List - I wasn't planning on renting a car, do you think we should? Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the resort. And, is there anywhere you would recommend to pick, up some groceries? I like to eat breakfast in. Thanks again!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:46 AM

I am not recommending *reviews* secction on Trip Advisor, in addition they have forums, a format like here on Fodor's, but broken up by destinations. There is a Cabo San Lucas forum with a very active group of helpful posters who live in Cabo or visit regularly.

No you don't need a car if you stay in or near town. It is easy to get around. Medano is busier, lined with the hotels and beach bars. It is a swimmable beach. The Pacific side is more rustic with the nice resorts, honestly I didn't get over there myself but think either would be great.

From the airport to town I booked online in advance at www.cabosanlucastours.net (as advised by the folks at TA). It was ~$15 pp each way for a shared shuttle. The airport is 29 miles outside town so taxis run more like $60-80 because of the distance.

My favorite restaurant was www.misionesdekino.com but I also enjoyed Maro's Shrimp House, Mama's Royal (for breakfast), and The Office on Medano (also at breakfast). Gordo Lele's taco shop is popular for very inexpensive but delicious meals.

As far as groceries the closest is Aramburo but it is a small store and has a somewhat limited selection. There is also a City Club fairly close to town. There's a couple others but you'd go by taxi (sorry don't remember the names, maybe Soriano and CCC but there was a name change recently on that last one). Again the TA FORUM will set you up with all this stuff.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM

The PB Sunset is a lovely resort. As Michelle said, you cannot swim on the beach on the Pacific side. The resort is really too far from "town" to walk, but they do provide a shuttle. If you feel your trip will be complete without swimming in the ocean, take the shuttle to one of the other PB resorts on the Sea of Cortez side or take a snorkeling cruise to Santa Maria Bay. Cabo is just as safe (or not) as any other big city. Use common sense, and you'll be fine.

The biggest problem you will encounter with restaurants in Cabo is choosing which one. Some of my favorites are: Gardenias for tacos; the Stoplight (next to El Squid Roe) or Senor Greenberg's for lunch; and Edith's for a luxurious, but pricey, dinner. I always want to try new ones, such as some that suze has recommended, but I can't help returning to some of my favorites.

You can take a taxi to Soriano's, or you can go to either WalMart or CostCo for groceries, depending on your needs.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM

We usually just get breakfast items at the resort mini-mart: milk, cereal. Or I bring cereal from home. The mini-mart is good for just the few items we need.

For a longer stay or more food for, say, the week, then I would probably hit Soriano, etc.

Beach dining: Tabasco's (right down the beach from Rose) $

Nice Dinner: Edith's $$$$ - Lovely palapa dining
Mi Casa $$$ I love their Carnitas Michoacan setting
Golondrinas $$$$ Nice setting also, but pricey

We usually have a BIG lunch, by the pool.

So many places to try and so little time!!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I just checked out the menu at misionsedekino, and I'm ready to fly out just to have dinner! It sounds wonderful.

What time of year did you all go? They are being nice enough to extend holding our reservation another day because now we are thinking of going in mid-May rather than early April. Do you think it makes any significant difference regarding weather or kiddies out of school?

Also, I've read numerous comments about 'seeing the whales' right from our room window. But, I've read that you only see whales January thru March. The above referenced reviews are year round. Any thoughts on that?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM

I've only been once. It was in February '09. Misiones de Kino was my very favorite place for a number of reasons (it's hidden away down a local street, set in a garden, with great food and service. I knew about it only from the good folks at Trip Advisor forum, I would have *never* found it on my own.

Sorry don't know about the whales.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM

suzieQ: I have been in October 2hot & muggy), February 2X, March 2X, . Feb and March were nice, but got a day or two of cooler air and wind. I would pick May since it will probably be a little quieter and all the spring breaks will be over.

True about the whales, they are usually gone by the end of March. So, I guess you will have to go back for another trip??

You will love either resort. We like Sunset Beach because it is away from town. Others prefer being close to bars etc.
Just a preference.

MY
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM

I've been in November and in February. In November, the water is quite a bit warmer, nights warm enough not to need a jacket, days almost hot. On one trip in November, we did see a few whales while we were on a sunset cruise. The water is cooler in February, days almost perfect, nights cool enough to need a light jacket. We have seen whales every single time we have been in February!